Overwriting arcgis online service (publishing) fails, Error: code:400

Jump to solution
03-19-2015 10:54 AM
NancyMilholland
New Contributor III

I have a published arcgis service. I needed to add two fields to a table, so went back to arcmap, and added the fields and appropriate data. When sharing the service using the overwrite option, the service definition and packaging is created successfully but an error is generated saying Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed ERROR: code:400 Item does not exist in this folder, Bad syntax in request.

A look at the GP window shows and error of 001566 Server overwrite error: failed to delete the service - with instructions to check that the service is no being cached and the cache folder can't be found in the service definition.

This is an arcgis online hosted service that I previously published from the desktop. How do I fix this so that I can overwrite the service?.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NancyMilholland
New Contributor III

If you move your service/service definition on ArcGIS Online to a new folder, the desktop app fails trying to publish. If you move the service/service definition back to your root folder you can overwrite the service successfully and then move it back to another folder. This is a bit of a pain - it would be helpful to be able to manage/see the service folder structure on the desktop.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
NancyMilholland
New Contributor III

If you move your service/service definition on ArcGIS Online to a new folder, the desktop app fails trying to publish. If you move the service/service definition back to your root folder you can overwrite the service successfully and then move it back to another folder. This is a bit of a pain - it would be helpful to be able to manage/see the service folder structure on the desktop.