Online account included with ArcGIS for Home Use

Jump to solution
10-21-2013 04:18 AM
StormwaterWater_Resources
New Contributor III
I purchased the "ArcGIS for Home Use" product.  Shortly after I validated my installation I received an email from Esri saying "soon you will..." get an ArcGIS Online account with it.  However nothing else was sent, and it's been a couple months now.  Did anyone else purchase the "for Home" package and receive a similar message?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes it is included. We are rolling out subscriptions to all ArcGIS Desktop users. As you might imagine, there are a lot of users. I believe the priority is based on number of licenses. Thus, the home use is at the bottom of the priority list and won't be rolled out until the end of the year, I hear.

However, another option is to sign up for a developer's subscription...

https://developers.arcgis.com/en/sign-up/

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes it is included. We are rolling out subscriptions to all ArcGIS Desktop users. As you might imagine, there are a lot of users. I believe the priority is based on number of licenses. Thus, the home use is at the bottom of the priority list and won't be rolled out until the end of the year, I hear.

Mike
0 Kudos
DouglasNorgord1
New Contributor

Mike

Someone should contact Customer Service regarding this.  I just had a chat with them asking the same question, and they stated strictly "NO" that it is not available for Home Use!

I'm glad to hear that it will be.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Those with a Home Use license will get a subscription. However, it won't be until the end of the year that we will have the ability to do so for home use. We need to make some changes in order to enable it. That's probably why there's a bit of a disconnect between development and sales... Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianCrumpler1
New Contributor
"mikem

Those with a Home Use license will get a subscription. However, it won't be until the end of the year that we will have the ability to do so for home use. We need to make some changes in order to enable it. That's probably why there's a bit of a disconnect between development and sales... Sorry for any confusion."

Mike,

That's a pretty big disconnect... It's past the end of the year now, and I haven't seen anything on updates so it would be great to know what's happening in this area.  This is especially critical since it is being advertised on the website as something provided with the purchased product.  If it is not yet available, then it shouldn't be advertised as such on the website when purchasing the Home Use product.  Additionally, since the Home Use product does have a 1 year expiration from the date of purchase, and since users would have to renew for an additional year, there is no difference in terms of "paying maintenance" (ie. paying $100 the following year for a new year's license). 

I don't think that desktop users would settle for the response that their maintenance is paying for the feature that has been advertised as coming with their licensing costs, yet "it's not yet available".  I understand technical challenges, but it really needs to be coordinated before being advertised and rolled out on the website.

Looking forward to any updates...

Thanks
Brian
0 Kudos
StormwaterWater_Resources
New Contributor III
For the record I received my ArcGIS Online subscription offer on December 23rd and I've since successfully activated it.

I suppose I'm still so awed by getting the full blown package along with extensions for ~$100 that I'm not complaining.
0 Kudos
OlegSeliverstov1
Occasional Contributor
Could you please help clarify some questions regarding  continuation of subscribtion?

Will I have access to all my ArcGIS Online items after subscribtion continuation?
Does remain ArcGIS Online credits be saved after subscribtion continuation?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
JohnPlunkett1
New Contributor III
Could you please help clarify some questions regarding  continuation of subscribtion?

Will I have access to all my ArcGIS Online items after subscribtion continuation?
Does remain ArcGIS Online credits be saved after subscribtion continuation?

Thanks!

No as far as I am aware
The best recommended course of action is to download your content before it expires

Credits don't carry over from year to year

Thanks
0 Kudos
OlegSeliverstov1
Occasional Contributor
jplunkett1, thank you!

If it's true, it's very sad..
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Here's information on credits as of today. On the anniversary of your subscription, you will receive your annual allotment of credits. Unused credits are not retained. Any purchased credits expire 2 years from date of purchase so long as subscription is active.

If you decide to end your subscription, you will need to plan accordingly and extract any assets you need before the subscription expires.

Hope this helps explain things,

Mike
0 Kudos