New map Viewer and Line Labels

Jump to solution
12-13-2021 07:10 AM
WardMitchell2
Occasional Contributor

Hello All,

I see that there have been some recent updates to the new make viewer. One of those being the labels associated with line work. The amount of labels per line has been greatly reduced (thankfully). The issue now appears that the labels do not move when you zoom in and out. In my case I am referring to road names . Roads tend to be long and have the label "sit" in one spot doesn't help the user know where they are at when zooming around in a map. I have only noticed it so far in the AGOL webmaps I have not tried the new line work labeling in a webmap application yet. I'm I missing something? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

We have made some updates to line labeling in the map viewer.

- We have a setting on the label style panel for lines to enable/disable label repeats

- When disabled right now the label is in a fixed centroid position on the line.

- When label repeat is enabled there is a setting to set the interval distance to control the number of repeats

- Setting the overrun on labeling will allow smaller features to display labels that are larger.

RussellRoberts1_0-1639412065354.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

We have made some updates to line labeling in the map viewer.

- We have a setting on the label style panel for lines to enable/disable label repeats

- When disabled right now the label is in a fixed centroid position on the line.

- When label repeat is enabled there is a setting to set the interval distance to control the number of repeats

- Setting the overrun on labeling will allow smaller features to display labels that are larger.

RussellRoberts1_0-1639412065354.png

DJB
by
New Contributor III

Hi @RussRoberts,

I'm running into a problem with labeling polygons.  The labels appear perfectly in the centroid of the polygon.  Works great if you see the full extent of the polygon.  Where the problems begin is when you zoom in.  The label no longer moves with the map extent.  So now, if I'm not zoomed in to the centroid of the polygon, I do not see the label at all making it virtually pointless.

Is Esri looking to fix this in future releases?  

DJB_0-1680197990975.png

DJB_1-1680198080381.png

Any information you may have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup this is something on the 4.x JSAPI roadmap to support and will be seen across all apps using that version of the API which would be Map Viewer, Dashboards, Experience Builder and Instant Apps for example. 

ZacharyStanley
New Contributor III

Is there a timeline for the roadmap updates?

0 Kudos
Stefan_Thorn
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @RussRoberts ,

Those are nice new updates but missing really basic possibilities which seems to be very obvious for us to support our work processes with online maps. Now workarounds must be used to achieve these.

Just a few in my opinion:

1. alignment  of labels (above, on, under ) line is not available anymore in new map viewer.

2. rotations of labels on line to get perpendicular labels --> a workaround:

• Generate Transects Along Lines
  • join new feature class with line feature class and transfer necessary attribute information
  • publish transects line and apply simple labeling
    • overrun is helpful here because the transect lines can be short and labels will show when zoomed out.
  • update/changes in  line feature --> work around again

In ArcGIS Pro:

Stefan_Thorn_1-1639420996748.png

Stefan_Thorn_0-1639420103304.png

Basic in AGOL: 

Stefan_Thorn_2-1639421325346.png

After workaround:

Stefan_Thorn_3-1639421411861.png

3. start point (start, middle, end) of a label. this can help if you want to use multiple label classes and apply different style. In my workaround this would give the opportunity to show the X and O and align start and end. But now the labels will overlap.

4. Use of arcade/html tags like color font and font style. 

Stefan_Thorn_0-1639420103304.png

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

1. Is planned for 2022

2. Is also planned to support horizontal or vertical label placement. This is not in the web map spec so it does not transfer from Pro to Web.

3. This one also planed in the later half of 2022

4. Is on our roadmap but not assigned a release just yet.

MdeBoer
Esri Contributor

1. Is planned for 2022 

Is this still the case or has it been postponed?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

It's been postponed and planned for 2023 release.

0 Kudos
ToddTurner
New Contributor III

And the status of this one now? Doesn't seem to be in Enterprise 11.1.

Simple line label positions of on/above/below seems like a fairly fundamental mapping requirement.