Need help understanding storage size of a hosted feature service!

01-14-2020 03:36 AM
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

I am very confused about what seems to be a disproportionately large storage size for a feature service I am hosting.  The feature service contains 6 layers.  It's item description page shows that the storage size is 509 mb.  Because this seemed strange to me, and I couldn't figure out how to view the individual size of each layer, I decided to go back to my original arcgis pro project and publish each of these 6 layers as separate web layers.  After doing so, I checked their individual sizes to see if things added up.  Their combined size is nowhere near 509 mb (0.0781 mb + 0.0781 mb + 0.0781 mb + 0.1328 mb + 0.1172 mb + 0.1094 mb = 0.5937 mb).  Am I missing something?

I checked the settings for the service and have confirmed that drawing optimization was turned off.  I also turned off editing for good measure.

I can't figure out why this service is still so large?  Any ideas?

Also, this service used to have additional layers which I have since removed using arcgis online assistant (through the JSON), is it possible that the item description is still registering the old size?

6 Replies
VictoriaAnderson
Esri Contributor

Hi!

Do you have sync enabled on this feature service? Enabling synchronization may increase the feature storage size for the layer.

Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

0 Kudos
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

No.  I even turned off 'enable editing'.

0 Kudos
KarolFrancisAZ
New Contributor III

Persefoni Kapotas‌ I am also having this issue. I have a line dataset that is 80.3 MB in an unzipped file geodatabase. When I publish as a hosted feature layer in AGOL it balloons to 212 MB. I do not understand why it is so huge in AGOL, and wonder if there is a way to minimize the growth when the data is published. 

0 Kudos
PersefoniKapotas
New Contributor III

Hi Karol,

I never found a good solution.  I ended up taking down the feature service.  If you ever figure it out, please post!

0 Kudos
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Same problem here. Esri please help. It's consuming all my credits!!

0 Kudos
KPattison
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am also having this issues with a 113mb layer when transferred being 5777mb in AGOL!

That jump is ridiculous so I'm not sure what's happening.

Any solutions for this?

0 Kudos