Multilayer basemap zoom levels

Jump to solution
06-13-2018 08:25 AM
DavidMcDermott1
New Contributor III

Hi GeoNet,

I am trying to build a custom multilayer basemap consisting of two hosted tile layers. One is large scale (1:400 to 1:5000) showing detailed building outlines and the other is small scale showing generalised features (1:2500 - 1:5000000). The problem I have is I cannot get the map viewer to respect the zoom levels for both layers. Depending on which layer I add first, that layer's zoom levels take precedence, i.e. If I add the small scale map first I can't zoom past 1:2500, even if both layers have been moved to basemap.

I have tired this in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer and by publishing from ArcGIS Pro. 

I would to accomplish this without code.

Thank you,

David McDermott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMcDermott1
New Contributor III

The solution i devised was to create a dummy tile service for my area of interest at all required scales. I did this by publishing the feature service but not generating any tiles. I then added this feature service in Map Viewer first and added the two other feature services on top. It seems to work ok.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi David,

The projections and zoom levels of web maps are determined by the first basemap that is added to the basemap layer. If you want to include the entire schema of both maps, I suggest adding the additional levels to the layer, but not building the tiles so that the structure is available to the web map on creation.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
DavidMcDermott1
New Contributor III

Is there a way of updating the tile scheme with re-publishing? 

Alternatively, can I build an empty basemap with the projection and tile scheme to use a framework for the other basemaps?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi David,

Did you publish the tile service in from a feature service or from a TPK?

0 Kudos
DavidMcDermott1
New Contributor III

Feature service

0 Kudos
DavidMcDermott1
New Contributor III

The solution i devised was to create a dummy tile service for my area of interest at all required scales. I did this by publishing the feature service but not generating any tiles. I then added this feature service in Map Viewer first and added the two other feature services on top. It seems to work ok.   

0 Kudos