???map scale??? is not available in the ArcGIS Online,

02-16-2014 07:49 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

???map scale??? is not available in the ArcGIS Online,

I???m wondering if there is a way to show the map scale in the ArcGIS Online.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31488[/ATTACH]

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Clip_3.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
4 Replies
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
^^^YES!!!!!

I would like to be able to tell students to set their map to a specific scale (or zoom level), so they can see the same extent that I can see.  How can we do this?

Thanks,

Allen Risley
GIS Technical Support
California State University San Marcos
JohnPlunkett1
New Contributor III
I don't believe that you can do this
however go to
ideas.arcgis.com

You can then post this as an idea and you never know it may become part of a the service in an updated build
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Map scale, contrary to a scale bar, has one difficult aspect to it regarding web application or screen display in general: it becomes screen ppi (pixels per inch) depended. E.g. the same 1000x1000 pixel image depicting the same 1x1 km area on the earth's surface can have vastly different sizes on different screens with different ppi resolution, and since there is a plethora out there, this is a major issue. This is especially apparent with all the new modern "retina" type resolution screens.

Map scale only really has usage for printed output in this respect... and if you haven't told ArcGIS for Desktop what your screens' size is through the Advanced ArcMap Settings utility, the settings for "scale" can be way off in ArcGIS for Desktop.
JohnPlunkett1
New Contributor III
Map scale, contrary to a scale bar, has one difficult aspect to it regarding web application or screen display in general: it becomes screen ppi (pixels per inch) depended. E.g. the same 1000x1000 pixel image depicting the same 1x1 km area on the earth surface can have vastly different sizes on different screens with different ppi resolution, and since there is a plethora out there, this is a major issue. This is especially apparent with all the new modern "retina" type resolution screens.

Map scale only really has usage for printed output in this respect... and if you haven't told ArcGIS for Desktop what your screens' size is through the Advanced ArcMap Settings utility, the settings for "scale" can be way off in ArcGIS for Desktop.

Yes fair point,
I do see where you are coming from