Loaded shapefile but no features showing

Jump to solution
04-29-2015 11:59 AM
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

I have put a shapefile into a geodatabase and uploaded it to My Content. When I add it to the map, nothing shows up. At first I thought that maybe the projection was wrong or something. But if I open the table, there is nothing there. It works fine in ArcMap and if I download the .gdb from AGOL, it loads up with no issues in ArcMap as well. I have uploaded other data with no problems before. Any thoughts as to what's happening?

Tags (2)
20 Replies
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

Changed the coordinate system. Still no dice.

So let me explain the layer I am trying to upload. I have a bunch of raster layers I want to upload, but I want them to be easier to use in AGOL. So I did a Raster to Polygon in ArcMap. I can upload the Raster to Polygon result with no problem, but its too many items for AGOL to handle well. So I decided to do a Dissolve and try again. The dissolve layer is the one that doesn't seem to want to upload. It ends up being only 2 or 3 features in ArcMap. But none are showing up in AGOL after uploading. I can download the layer and it works in ArcMap just fine.

0 Kudos
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Can you share the feature so we can help further? Perhaps zip it, load the zipped file separately, and share it to the public.

0 Kudos
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

What do I need to do to get the file to everyone here?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You can zip the data and upload it as an attachment.  To do this:

1.  Click 'Reply'

2.  'Use advanced editor' at the top right

3.  Click 'Attach' at the bottom right

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

To add to Jake's instructions....if you don't see the advanced editor option, you might be trying to reply from within geonet's email.  Click on the topic name at the top to open the topic direct, and the option should be available.​

0 Kudos
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

I made another post with the file. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
faiz_ur_rehmanfaiz
New Contributor

you have to draw features manually,

If there are already feature then just select projection.

0 Kudos
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

I've tried uploading through shapefiles and a geodatabase. I have a zipped shapefile attached. I just tried again to upload it via ArcMap and getting the same results. I see the file fine in the thumbnail but nothing shows up in an actual map. It zooms to the correct spot and everything. But no features are loaded. Again, I've put other files on AGOL with no problems at all. So I'm a bit puzzled on this one.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for uploading your shapefile. After a quick glance, it appears that this data has a lot of vertices for the polygons, 3591158 vertices for one feature and  and 3189855 for the other. The following blog mentions some considerations when working with data with too many vertices and strategies to reduce this:

Dicing Godzillas (features with too many vertices) | ArcGIS Blog

Please try reducing the amount of vertices and then re-adding and publishing the data.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Kelly

BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jessica,

Kelly Gerrow is right on the money. The size and vertices per feature within your dataset appear to be your issue. I tested Kelly's theory by dicing your NCSW feature to no more than 250,000 vertices per polygon and republishing to AGOL as a feature service. The diced feature loaded and drew but was still incomplete. It didn't appear to load the entire state based on the draw results. Also, it took a long time to draw so 250,000 vertices is still too many. I suggest following Kelly's suggesting of dicing the feature but set the maximum vertices at 100,000 or even less. You may have to do trial and error unless someone specifically knows the max vertices count that AGOL supports. Also, a second consideration might be publishing the feature as a tile service instead of a feature service. This of course depends on your desired end use though to me it looks like it would just be a display layer since it is based on a raster output? Hope this helps and good luck.