Loaded shapefile but no features showing

Jump to solution
04-29-2015 11:59 AM
JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

I have put a shapefile into a geodatabase and uploaded it to My Content. When I add it to the map, nothing shows up. At first I thought that maybe the projection was wrong or something. But if I open the table, there is nothing there. It works fine in ArcMap and if I download the .gdb from AGOL, it loads up with no issues in ArcMap as well. I have uploaded other data with no problems before. Any thoughts as to what's happening?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for uploading your shapefile. After a quick glance, it appears that this data has a lot of vertices for the polygons, 3591158 vertices for one feature and  and 3189855 for the other. The following blog mentions some considerations when working with data with too many vertices and strategies to reduce this:

Dicing Godzillas (features with too many vertices) | ArcGIS Blog

Please try reducing the amount of vertices and then re-adding and publishing the data.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Kelly

View solution in original post

20 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Can you describe your workflow?  For example, are you uploading the feature class as a feature service by going to File > Share As > Service in ArcMap?

JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

I am going into My Content in AGOL and selecting Add Item->From Computer and uploading.

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Jessica,

You would have to go through ArcGIS Desktop to upload data as a feature service. Open a MXD add the data you would like to upload. Click on File -> Share as -> Service -> Publish a service.

That would be the best way.

Tim

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Check here under "Publish from ArcMap" to see detailed instructions:

Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

Jessica, when you upload a GDB in that manner AGOL will not be able to view it in a web map. That method is good for storing and sharing a GDB with others but not viewing its contents within an AGOL webmap. Jake and Tim's suggestion of sharing the content through ArcMap as a service is the correct workflow to get the content to AGOL so that you can view and edit in a web map. In short, if you open the GDB in ArcMap, sign in to AGOL (File - Sign In), then share the service (File - Share As - Service) the contents of your ArcMap document (GDB) will be published to AGOL.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Jessica,

Have you published the uploaded geodatabase into a Feature Service?

In order to access the uploaded data it will need to be published as a feature layer, which can then be viewed in the map viewer.

This documentation: Publish features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS explains the publishing workflow for geodatabases added to 'My Content' directly. Publishing the geodatabase to online through ArcMap will also result in a feature layer being published.

After the feature layer is published, you can add the layer to the web map.

Cheers,

Kelly

JessicaKnight1
New Contributor III

Still having the same issue, even publishing the feature layer through ArcMap. I can see the layer in the thumbnail preview but when I add it to the map, nothing shows up and no features are shown in the attribute table.

I've put up other data layers with no problems at all.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Maybe something is corrupted in the data? Did you try and run the following?

ArcGIS Desktop

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Before uploading the data to ArcGIS Online through ArcMap, try setting the data frame projection to Web Mercator (auxiliary sphere).  This could possibly be a projection issue  Ex:

screen1.png

Also, any chance you could zip and upload the geodatabase to this thread?