Select to view content in your preferred language

Layer order in Map Viewer do not match what is in AGOL Web AppBuilder

Jump to solution
12-15-2022 07:03 PM
TimHayes3
Occasional Contributor

Any ideas on why the order of the layers I have in the Map Viewer are different than what is shown in the AGOL web map app? One layer is sourced from a REST URL (map service), the other two (City Limits and Parcels) are sourced from an existing image service in AGOL.

I need to have the points layer on top of the polygons (City Limits and Parcels), but City Limits keeps coming out on top of the layer list. No matter what order I manually drag them in Map Viewer.

I have used Map Viewer Classic before and this was never an issue. Should I switch back to Map Viewer Classic?

The 1st image is from the Map Viewer, the 2nd image is what it looks like in the web map app.

ZMapViewer1.JPGZMapViewer2.JPG

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

WAB will not be migrated to 4.x. The replacement for a 4.x WAB is Experience Builder. 

LMK if you have any other questions. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a limitation in older 3.x JSAPI based web apps. So Map Viewer Classic and Web AppBuilder are built of the same JSAPI version. Map Services /Map Image Layer are placed at the bottom of the list. Apps built off of the 4.x JSAPI support map services/map image layer placement anywhere in the layer list. These apps are Map Viewer, Experience Builder, Instant Apps, Dashboards & Story Maps.

0 Kudos
TimHayes3
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Russell. Based on what you say and what I found here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-maps-sdk-javascript-documents/apps-that-use-arcgis-api-for-java...

Map Viewer Classic uses 3.x JSAPI

Map Viewer uses 4.x JSAPI

Web AppBuilder (AGOL) uses 3.x JSAPI

So the reason why this issue is occurring is that Map Viewer uses 4.x JSAPI and Web AppBuilder (AGOL) uses 3.x JSAPI? Do you know when Web AppBuilder (AGOL not WAB DE) will be moved to 4.x JSAPI?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

WAB will not be migrated to 4.x. The replacement for a 4.x WAB is Experience Builder. 

LMK if you have any other questions. 

TimHayes3
Occasional Contributor

This is good to know.

What is your recommendation as to what I should do? I am making a fairly simple 3 layer web map where all I need is to ensure the point layer (Map Service/Map Image Layer) is at the top of the polygon layers. Not having ever used Experience Builder before, I assume I can make this map using that?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You could use experience builder or an instant app would be even quicker to do. You can launch the instant app builder from Map Viewer after the map has been saved. 

TimHayes3
Occasional Contributor

Does Experience Builder accept Arcade expressions for popups?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

What you see in Map Viewer you will see in Experience Builder .