Select to view content in your preferred language

Labels no longer displaying in hosted vector tile layers

Jump to solution
08-03-2022 03:27 AM
Labels (2)
MappyIan
Occasional Contributor III

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I'm pulling my hair out.

We have a Hosted Vector Tile Layer that is used to display building names and building outlines.  The data changes very infrequently hence using a Vector Tile Layer.  Last week one of the names on the underlying Feature Layer was updated so we used the Rebuild Cache function on the hosted Vector Tile Layer to update the relevant tile(s).  This has worked fine in the past but for some reason the names are no longer displaying after rebuilding the cache (the building outline is still visible however).

The configuration/workflow we have is Hosted Feature Layer (polygons) --> Hosted Feature Layer View (just labels and building outlines) --> Hosted Vector Tile Layer.

I've tried a number of different setups to attempt to resolve the issue but none have worked:

• Rebuilding the cache
  • Hosted Feature Layer --> Hosted Vector Tile Layer (i.e. not going via a hosted View)
  • Different attribute for labelling (in case there is something wrong with the attribute values of the one used for labelling)
  • Different source dataset (in case there is something wrong with the actual dataset)
  • A colleague has also tried (to rule out specific issues with my setup)
  • Publishing a new Hosted Vector Tile Layer directly from ArcGIS Pro (v.2.9.3)

No matter what I try, I can't get labels to display in my Hosted Vector Tile Layer.  The documentation states that labels are supported in Hosted Vector Tile Layers (e.g. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/2.9/help/mapping/map-authoring/labeling-in-vector-tiles.htm), and we had them working before, but I'm wondering if a bug has been introduced in the latest update to AGOL?  I should add that I'm only doing very basic labels using the default settings (arial font, black text, white halo), I'm not doing anything that isn't supported.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem or does anyone have any ideas how to resolve the issue or if I'm doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MappyIan

Hi @Geo_Sol, I ended up contacting ESRI support and it turns out it's a bug and was logged as BUG-000150448.  They did provide a workaround but I didn't try it as it was easy enough for us to create a View for the labels instead.  Workaround details from ESRI below:

1. Prior to publishing the tile layer to ArcGIS Online, in the General tab, uncheck the 'Feature' check box under Layer Type.
  2. Create a vector tile package in ArcGIS Pro and publish it as a hosted tile layer in ArcGIS Online.
    1. Open the project in ArcGIS Pro with the data.
    2. Open and run the Create Vector Tile Package geoprocessing tool. Save the tile package to the machine.
    3. In ArcGIS Online, click Content > My Content > New item. Add the tile package. 
    4. Select 'Add tile package' and create a hosted tile layer.

Hope this helps - Ian

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Geo_Sol
New Contributor

Hi, I was just wondering if this matter got resolved as I am having the same issue with labels not showing when publishing a vector tile (hosted) from ArcPro 3.0 to Portal. Thanks!

0 Kudos
MappyIan

Hi @Geo_Sol, I ended up contacting ESRI support and it turns out it's a bug and was logged as BUG-000150448.  They did provide a workaround but I didn't try it as it was easy enough for us to create a View for the labels instead.  Workaround details from ESRI below:

1. Prior to publishing the tile layer to ArcGIS Online, in the General tab, uncheck the 'Feature' check box under Layer Type.
  2. Create a vector tile package in ArcGIS Pro and publish it as a hosted tile layer in ArcGIS Online.
    1. Open the project in ArcGIS Pro with the data.
    2. Open and run the Create Vector Tile Package geoprocessing tool. Save the tile package to the machine.
    3. In ArcGIS Online, click Content > My Content > New item. Add the tile package. 
    4. Select 'Add tile package' and create a hosted tile layer.

Hope this helps - Ian

Geo_Sol
New Contributor

Hi Ian,

Thanks so much for responding. I have tried the vector tile package option and the labels are still missing. It appears to affect only some of the layers that are in my map, the OS Open Map Local and Vector Map District layers. The labels for another layer in my map - OS MasterMap Topography - are there but are not displaying correctly in the published Vector tile and Vector Tile Package, so looks like I will need to fire it over to technical support. 

Thanks again.

Lynsey

0 Kudos
MappyIan

Hi Lynsey (@Geo_Sol), sorry to hear the workaround wasn't a success, hopefully you get further with Technical Support.

0 Kudos
FrePel
by
New Contributor II

Hi, I am experiencing the same issue as well.

Sharing from ArcGIS Pro 3.2 to Enterprise Portal. Tried the workflow suggested by ESRI posted earlier as well, without any success. Did you figure out any solution @Geo_Sol ?

0 Kudos
Stuart-Harlan
New Contributor II

Having troubles with labels not showing in hosted vector tile layer.  ArcGIS Pro 3.2 to Enterprise Portal.  Some layers show labels...others do not.

0 Kudos