Labeling in ArcGIS Online

04-15-2020 06:54 AM
BenjaminMittler
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

I have a polygon layer where the symbology being used is "Counts and Amounts" (Different sized circles based on COVID-19 cases). I have this layer labeled to show the count of cases but i am having issues where the label is not appearing in the same location as the circle. See map link below. Is there anything i can do about this? I specifically have Charlotte and Brevard Counties where labeling is way off. I tried the beta map viewer and labeling is somehow worse.

Map: https://usflibrary.maps.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=f07da7d21e654c6c901bfecb339b5bc8 

Map in my hub where labeling is worse: Florida COVID-19 Hub 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

This may be a silly question, but what do you have set for the alignment in the label settings?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Actually after looking at the data a bit more, I believe the issue is that the labels are appearing over the centroid of the county polygon, rather than the symbolized "counts and amounts" point symbolization. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler

Yea i figured that this is the case, but i'm not aware of a way to tell AGO to label the Counts and Amounts instead

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hmmm....yeah, I don't know of any way to get ArcGIS Online to do that. I was going to suggest creating a separate point feature layer and appending the data to it to create the labels, but in this case where the data set is constantly updated that makes it much more complicated. I did see this post but not even sure if that would work for your case. 

I guess some other options would be to keep the map symbolized as polygons, as you did with the other tabs in the HUB map (Deaths by County, Hospitalization Rate, etc) or just remove labels to keep it strictly visual based on the size of the circles. Then if a user wants to know specifics, they would click on the circle to get the data. (as we know, this is the approach that Johns Hopkins took with their Dashboard)

Sorry I can't be more help, I'm sure you've already thought of those options! Hopefully Esri will enhance labeling options and functionality within web maps in the future...

Good luck and take care!

-Katherine

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler

I don't think you get the alignment settings if your feature is technically a polygon. I'm not seeing those options