kernel density of a line/route

10-08-2019 06:33 AM
edwinterrell
New Contributor II

I am working on a class assignment where I am using kernel density of a route.  The route below is one of my runs.  The instructions say to divide the kernel density map by the max kernel density value (which is done below) using the raster calculator.

Then, I'm supposed to 'combine' the 3 maps I have, using different weighting schemes/combinations.  To get different weights, I'm supposed to use the raster calculator to calculate different bandwidths. I have no idea how to get these different bandwidths or weight schemes.  Ideas, anyone?  Would appreciate any help.

The bottom picture is the example given. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It sounds like you may be looking for the Weighted Overlay tool: 

What is the overall goal your analysis (what question are you trying to answer)? 

0 Kudos
edwinterrell
New Contributor II

I think the ultimate goal of the assignment is to show those 3 different maps (like the examples at bottom) with different weighting combinations.  The one on the right is obviously the best weight.

This is the final step in my instructions:

You will end up with three different maps, which should be standardized from 0 (low KDE value) to ~1 (high KDE values). What you want to do next is to combine the maps together, using different weighting schemes. For instance, for the map that uses the largest bandwidth, if you end up giving a high weight, you will have a blurry map that is not very revealing. Try different weighing combination (see below).

0 Kudos