Issues with presentation mode in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
10-03-2019 08:33 AM
PhilippeRenaud
New Contributor II

I have a presentation with about 40 slides, based on a web map with about 60 layers. Eventually, usually when most of my slides are created, some of the layers are not available anymore in "slide properties". Then, when I go back to the web map, I get an error message that says some of the layers cannot be added to the map, even though there are no problems with the layers and they can be added to other maps.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhilippeRenaud
New Contributor II

Hi Peter,

I figured out what the problem was. I am embarrassed to admin, but I just needed to clear the browser's cache. I was sure that's one of the first things I did, but I guess not. I've been working a lot lately and I'm not at my sharpest.

Anyway, I hope I didn't waste your time too much and thanks again for your help.

Phil

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Philippe Renaud,

How long have you seen this behavior with presentations?

What happens if you use a Web Map with fewer layers in a presentation - do you still see the same behavior?

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
PhilippeRenaud
New Contributor II

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. This is the first presentation I've done. In the last week, I've created a few different versions to see what the issue is (mostly by changing data sources), but the behavior keeps repeating. It's only been happening when I'm almost done the presentation, so when I have 40 layers +. It hasn't happened with fewer layers. Unfortunately, I need all these layers in the presentation... It could have something to do with the big number of layers/slides or maybe it doesn't like one of the data sources. It definitely seems like a bug to me. Thanks for your help.

Phil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Phil,

Thanks for providing those details - are the layers coming from ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Services? ArcGIS Server Services or other sources? Are there multiple layers in a service or is each layer coming from a different service? 

If I have some of this information I should be able to give this a quick test on my end. 

If you open Developer tools (shift+ctrl+I on Chrome) do you see any network level errors when a layer cannot be added to the map?

I'm not sure of your Technical Support contract agreement, but if you are able to log a case with Esri Canada I would definitely recommend doing that as well - they can get on a screen share with you and take a closer look at the layers and presentation configuration. If it does turn out to be a bug they will facilitate in getting it reported.

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
PhilippeRenaud
New Contributor II

Hi Peter,

Most of the layers come from ArcGIS Online Hosted Feature Services (Provinces and Territoires of Canada, World Countries (Generalized), Australia State Boundaries 2018, etc). Layers based on these services are some of the layers that can't be added. Others layers are based on a feature service from our organizational ArcGIS Server and others are based on a hosted feature service I created by uploading a shapefile to ArcGIS Online. So all 60-something layers are based off these 7-8 different feature services.

I do not see any network level errors in Developer tools.

Technical Support with Esri is managed by our IT team, so I'll check with them about logging a case.

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.

Phil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the response, and happy to help out. It is interesting that only the Hosted Feature Services have layers that are experiencing the issue. I will try with some of those services you mention to see if I see any of the same behavior. Beyond that basic test Support can definitely assist. 

Best,

-Peter

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Philippe Renaud‌,

I had a chance to test a Web Map with the above Hosted Feature Services (including some others) in a presentation with 100 slides and was not able to reproduce the issue. Per my last comment Support will be able to help isolate what's going on. 

Thanks,

-Peter

0 Kudos
PhilippeRenaud
New Contributor II

Hi Peter,

I figured out what the problem was. I am embarrassed to admin, but I just needed to clear the browser's cache. I was sure that's one of the first things I did, but I guess not. I've been working a lot lately and I'm not at my sharpest.

Anyway, I hope I didn't waste your time too much and thanks again for your help.

Phil

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, it happens! No worries, glad you got it figured out. 

-Peter

0 Kudos