Select to view content in your preferred language

Is there a way to show all labels if features overlap in ArcGIS Online?

08-13-2015 01:55 PM
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Labeling doesn't seem to re-adjust itself on webmap.

For example, while publishing from ArcMap, both labels would show:

But once pulled in as a service on webmap, only the one label shows if the features overlap:

Thank you,

Emily

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

Emily,

I am not a user of ArcGIS Online - I develop against the ArcGIS JSAPI - but according to the help documentation, it doesn't seem you can do this dynamically:

Create labels—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

The map viewer places as many labels on the map as possible without overlapping them. Thus, in areas where features are tightly clustered, some features may not get labeled. As you zoom in to an area, more labels will dynamically appear. Labeling priority follows the layer order in your map from top to bottom. Layers at the top get labeled first and thus, will have the most labels. There is no guarantee that you’ll get the labels you want positioned exactly where you want them. Thus, dynamic labeling is best suited for maps where you don’t need precise control and only want to label a few layers.
0 Kudos
EmilyLee
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you, Chris.

0 Kudos
dcallaghan
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know if the above still applies for new Map Viewer?
I have a use case where I want to show all labels, regardless of whether they overlap or not.
I am unable to find an option within Map Viewer that allows me to do this.
(I am looking to enable an option something like "Show all labels, including colliding labels" as is available in QGIS).

Anyone got any suggestions?

0 Kudos