Select to view content in your preferred language

Is it possible to use a WMTS Imagery as a basemap within a custom Basemap gallery for a web app/experience?

Jump to solution
07-21-2023 02:12 AM
EdHixson
Regular Contributor

Hi all

The title says it all but I am curious whether it is possible to use UK wide imagery as a basemap with you can swpa in and out of a web app through the basemap gallery widget. The link is brought in to AGOL through a WMTS.

I am not sure what else information wise I can included. If anyone has any knowledge of this topic it would be great or if it not possible how could we best use this WMTS to create a basemap

All the best

-Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Hi @EdHixson 

This should be possible! If you add the WMTS to a web map first, save it as a new item and then add the webmap and the WMTS into the custom basemap group, this should allow you to use the WMTS in a web app basemap gallery widget.

I hope that helps!

~Just trying to fix things~

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

Hi @EdHixson 

This should be possible! If you add the WMTS to a web map first, save it as a new item and then add the webmap and the WMTS into the custom basemap group, this should allow you to use the WMTS in a web app basemap gallery widget.

I hope that helps!

~Just trying to fix things~
0 Kudos
EdHixson
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I will test tomorrow

ATB

-Ed

0 Kudos
JonathanSkloven-Gill
Regular Contributor

I had been doing this since 2017, but in the past few weeks users have told me its not working anymore. I have a web map with 3 layers: the ESRI hosted OSM reference, a WMS for large scale zoom only due to slow loading, and a WMTS for the rest. I get an error: "This type of layer cannot be used as a basemap" for ALL 3 

JonathanSklovenGill_0-1700248102171.png

This is also the default basemap for the web app, and loads as expected. Once users change the basemap to a vector style, they cannot return to the imagery/default basemap unless they reload the web app.

0 Kudos