Is it possible to have the Time Slider turned off when WebMap loads and allow user to toggle on rather than the opposite.

01-15-2024 07:55 AM
Clubdebambos
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to have a time slider enabled but not show up in the map until a user wants to use it. At the moment it seems there are two requirements but it is not the functionality I'm looking for.

Scenario:
I have a point layer that has a date field and the Time Settings are enabled for the Feature Layer from the Feature Service content item.

Clubdebambos_0-1705333435724.png

This layer is in my map, when I open the map the time slider shows automatically, I can turn it off by selecting Time on the right and toggle on/off.

Clubdebambos_1-1705333559862.png

If I toggle off and save the map, when I reopen the time slider still appears. I would like it not to, but the option to turn it on when needed.

Now, here's what I can do, I can go to the layer properties and see that Enable Time is toggled on, and I can see the Time toggle on the right.

Clubdebambos_2-1705333690189.png

If I toggle off the Enable time for the layer, the Time toggle disappears from the right. 

Clubdebambos_3-1705333747189.png

I toggle on Enable Time but do not have the Time toggled on and I save the Map. I want it to open just like this, without the slider but the option to turn on when needed, not the opposite where I have to toggle off upon opening the Map.

Clubdebambos_4-1705333818946.png

But when I reopen or refresh, the time slider shows.

Clubdebambos_5-1705333924594.png

Is it possible to achieve this in any way? Manually or using the ArcGIS API for Python to manipulate the JSON?

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com
Tags (2)
3 Replies
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @Clubdebambos,

If the time-enabled layer shows with the time setting as being enabled, disabling the option and saving the map should be honoured so that when you reopen the saved map from your content, the time setting should show as disabled.

I have tested this with a map from the Living Atlas, Bioclimate Projections: (11) Mean Temperature of Coldest Quarter. When I first loaded the layer in the Map Viewer, the time setting was enabled.  I disabled the setting and saved the map. I then went back to my Content page and opened the map. This time, the layer loaded with the Time option was disabled:

TimeOptionDisabledAfterSaved.jpg

Please see Configure time settings (Map Viewer) for more information.

I hope the above is of assistance.

Miguel
0 Kudos
Clubdebambos
Occasional Contributor III

Hi @MiguelParedes 

You have just described what I wrote in the original post. I want to be able to leave Enable Time toggled on in the Layer. This will display the time slider initially, but you can turn the time slider off by clicking Time on the righthand side. Then save the Map, the map has now been saved with the time slider toggled off. When you reopen the Map, or refresh the page, the time slider appears, even though I saved the map with it toggled off, thus, not honoring how I wanted the map state to be saved.

~ learn.finaldraftmapping.com
MiguelParedes
Esri Contributor

Greetings @Clubdebambos 

Sorry if I did not understand your issue correctly.
What I can see is that if add a layer containing time and add it to Map Viewer, the layer is added with and the time control is available.  If I then save the map, when I reopen it, the state is maintained, that is, the map opens with the time control present but disabled.  If I then enabled the time control and make it visible by clicking on the time button to the right, making the time control display at the bottom of the map, and I then save this map using Save As, to a different name,  when I go back to Content, and I open the newly saved map, the time control will appear at the bottom of the map.

Please, see the following video clip which illustrates the behaviour

I hope the above helps clarify the issue.

Miguel
0 Kudos