Is it possible to get multiple arrow heads on a line feature in ArcGIS online?

Jump to solution
11-15-2022 10:54 AM
Labels (1)
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi There,

I'm working with ArcGIS online and have my feature data loaded and have been able to symbolise my line feature with an arrow as this blog explains. But what I actually want to be able to have are multiple arrow heads along a line feature showing the direction of the route. 

I have done this in ArcGIS desktop (screenshot attached) and wanted to know if this is possible online too?

Many thanks in advance. I feel sure this is possible somehow!

Katy

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JosephRhodes2
Occasional Contributor II

In addition to Russell's answer, another option is to publish vector tiles from Pro, which will give you a little more control over symbology and make the symbols available in 3.x maps/apps if needed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Russell,

I have been battling with a few different things today and I think the root of the problem is that I am working in older software and then trying to make it work in newer versions. For example I made this map in Map View Classic and then went to view in Map Viewer and these options aren't available. I had a license through a course I took and it will expire soon and while I could keep eekking things out. I have now taken the action to get a personal ArcPro license which I think will help me with quite a few things!!

This is the link to the map in Map Viewer Classic https://arcg.is/1i05rP0 

It wouldn't let me share the link from Map Viewer.

Thank you for your help though, much appreciated!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Use Map Viewer instead of Map Viewer Classic and you can use a similar symbol set. You can also publish your own web style from Pro and use that in Map Viewer too. 

RussellRoberts1_0-1668540566922.png

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Russell,

Thanks so much for the tip on switching to Map Viewer rather than Map Viewer Classic. I did this and used the left side bar to select layer I want to work on and then looked at the right side bar (as you show in your screenshot) but I seem to have limited options (screenshot 1). If I then click back on the layer I want to edit I can see the toolbar on the right changes with more options but they all seem greyed out (screenshot 2).

Do I need to be on some different membership for access to these tools? 

Sadly, I don't have access to Pro right now so I don't have that option!

Any further thoughts appreciated! I'm relatively new to online ArcGIS and it looks to me like the Map Viewer Classic is older and Map Viewer is the newer version- is this correct?

Many thanks again

Katy

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map with me but from what I can see is the layer type being used is probably a feature collection which has minimal support like styling. How did you create this layer ?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Russell,

I have been battling with a few different things today and I think the root of the problem is that I am working in older software and then trying to make it work in newer versions. For example I made this map in Map View Classic and then went to view in Map Viewer and these options aren't available. I had a license through a course I took and it will expire soon and while I could keep eekking things out. I have now taken the action to get a personal ArcPro license which I think will help me with quite a few things!!

This is the link to the map in Map Viewer Classic https://arcg.is/1i05rP0 

It wouldn't let me share the link from Map Viewer.

Thank you for your help though, much appreciated!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The issue is the imported file shapefile is not fully supported for authoring this type of feature collection so the layer authoring is limited at this time. Publishing to a hosted feature layer will expose the full layer authoring for an example layer. 

0 Kudos
JosephRhodes2
Occasional Contributor II

In addition to Russell's answer, another option is to publish vector tiles from Pro, which will give you a little more control over symbology and make the symbols available in 3.x maps/apps if needed.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Joseph,

Thanks so much for the answer, I don't have Pro so not sure if I can use Vector Tiles, but I'll have a look at this as potentially as work around? Thank you!

Katy

0 Kudos