Import custom symbology?

Jump to solution
11-13-2013 09:46 AM
CarissaLord
New Contributor
I've created layers and custom symbology in ArcGIS 10.2 Desktop.  I've imported the .shp file into my ArcGIS Online map but the symbology is limited.  Is there a way to import the original symbology that I used in the Desktop version?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
If you have your symbols as jpg's, gifs or bmp's, you could host them on one of the image sharing sites and then use them.

If you have an organizational account, you can just upload your layers as feature services, which keeps your symbology.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
If you have your symbols as jpg's, gifs or bmp's, you could host them on one of the image sharing sites and then use them.

If you have an organizational account, you can just upload your layers as feature services, which keeps your symbology.
0 Kudos
CarissaLord
New Contributor
Thanks!  That's sort of what I gathered but didn't know if I was missing something obvious.  Follow-up... I do have an organization account.  How do I export/import layers as feature services?
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
Carissa,

Open the MXD in which you have prepared your layer with your symbology. Make sure only that layer is in your MXD.

1) Click on File -> Sign In... (Here you sign into your organizational account)
2) Click on File -> Share As -> Service -> Publish a service
3) As connection choose My Hosted Services (My Account) and as service name use what you want the layer to be called.
4) Under the capabilities tab uncheck "Tiled Mapping" and check "Feature Access"
5) Fill out the Item Description tab
6) Under sharing you can check who is able to see it once published
7) Click Publish in the upper right corner and it will soon show up in your "My Content" on ArcGIS Online

I hope this makes sense!
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Frequent Contributor
To export the layer from your ArcGIS Online account, you need to go to the feature services description page.
There under layers click the dropdown triangle next to your layer name and choose how you would look to export it (shapefile, csv...)
0 Kudos