Illuminating polar regions in 3D webscene

Jump to solution
04-12-2016 07:08 AM
CooperThomas
Esri Contributor

This question regards the webscene lighting model. I’m currently working on a Story Map Journal that focuses on human activity near the north pole. As the user scrolls through blocks (or "chapters") of written content, a companion map dynamically updates to show relevant data and areas of interest.

I'd like to use a webscene instead of a webmap for this project in order to minimize geographic distortion, to provide a sense of scale, and to allow for the display of features that wouldn't be visible with a polar stereographic/orthographic projection. Unfortunately, however, it is seemingly impossible to illuminate the entire north pole (or south pole, for that matter) using the webscene's lighting system. Even if I set the time to high noon in June or July, half of the pole remains obscured in darkness. I appreciate the realism, but in this case, it prohibits me from creating an effective webscene.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.00.15 AM.png

Is it possible to disable the realistic lighting engine so that the entire planet is illuminated, as in ArcGIS Earth, Google Earth, Google Maps, Bing Maps 3D, etc.? I suspect not, but I thought I'd ask. If any folks on the webscene product team are here, I’d kindly ask you to consider adding this feature in a future update, as it would greatly increase th !e utility of the tool.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

No, you currently can't do this. It's being talked about, but the only way to modify lighting is by setting the date.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

No, you currently can't do this. It's being talked about, but the only way to modify lighting is by setting the date.

0 Kudos
CooperThomas
Esri Contributor

Thanks for your swift response, Kristian. Do you know if this feature will be included in a future update?

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

This hasn't been determined yet. Given this scenario, we'll discuss it some more.

0 Kudos