I need to print to specific scale with accuracy in ArcGIS Online

08-22-2019 07:49 AM
KennieHarris
New Contributor II

I am a GIS Analyst for a local government. Our data is in State Plane. I need to build an app in ArcGIS Online for printing parcel maps that prints and measures accurately. Web Mercator is off by many feet. I can build it using our data as a basemap, but then I can't use any of esri's basemaps with it. When I do it reprojects my data into web mercator.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kennie Harris‌,

My understanding is that it is not possible to reproject Esri Basemaps in ArcGIS Online. They will always be in Web Mercator. However, when using a Basemap in a State Plane projection, you can add an imagery layer made accessible in ArcGIS Online and the Web Map will remain in the State Plane projection. If you are able to find fine-scale imagery for your area in ArcGIS Online this may work. 

Alternatively if you have ArcGIS Enterprise you can publish a cached Map Service or Image Service in your State Plane projection and use this as the Basemap. 

Hope this helps,

Peter

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree with Peter - Web Mercator (WKID 3857) is not recommended for making measurements on a printed copy using the graphical scalebar because of its distortions, especially closer to the poles. Measuring distances and areas when your map uses the Mercator projection   However, you can request the Esri basemaps in a different projection, if you are working on creating a viewer. You just request them as a dynamic map service (now called a map image layer) and add them as a layer to the map object.  They will render slower and you will notice the jpg compression. However, it is possible to add Esri basemaps in your viewer in State Plane in this way, and State Plane if you are in the US is one the better choices in general if you will be making measurements based on the scalebar. Otherwise, choose your projection based on which you need to be most accurate (distance, direction, shape, and/or area).  How to choose a projection 

Also note, the Print widget in the WebApp Builder actually has an option to set the printout result to any projection.  Such as state plane.  However, I was unable to get it to work, it appears at the moment to have some sort of bug with reprojecting which I'm waiting to hear back on:   https://community.esri.com/ideas/10523#comment-76402 

0 Kudos