Select to view content in your preferred language

I need help with "extraction"

05-03-2023 05:57 AM
Labels (1)
BobGriest
New Contributor II

After working every day for 10 years on a project, I have accomplished nothing!  Now I have turned to ArcGIS maps. I have an area outlined, within a map,  but I am on my 19th week of trying to extract that area from ArcGIS and then export it to another program. Thank you and please help, Bob

Additional info that may be helpful; 

• Basically what I want to do is extract a portion of an ArcGIS map and then place it into Homeport (a discontinued fishing app though still functioning). The extracted portion must contain it's original properties (zoom + or -, be able to drag and view it north, south, east and west. When the extracted portion is installed into Homeport, I will then transfer the info into my Garmin chart plotter as Homeport was designed to do just that...transfer info into Garmin units. Upon completion of all of this I will get an extremely good view of the ocean floor and possibly catch some fish. Thank you, Bob
  • Here is the ArcGIS map containing the needed portion (within the lines).

0 Kudos
11 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

I don't think Homeport will support the export unless the export is just a GPX file.

Do you know what file types you are trying to export and Homeport supports? 

0 Kudos
BobGriest
New Contributor II

Homeport= (.ADM) and (.GPX).  

ArcGIS offers three types of geodatabases: personal, file, and Enterprise. File-based formats can be Esri specific (TIN, Grid), open-source and standardized exchange formats (TIFF, JPEG 2000), or third-party formats (IMG, PIX). ArcGIS supports many file-based formats.

RussRoberts, Are these what you asked for?    Thank you, Bob

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you are trying to export the map you wont be seeing the homeport supported formats. The basemap will be exported as a vector or tile layer package, the data exported operational layers will be in a sql lite db. This is when the layers support being taken offline. If you are going through a feature layer that supports being exported you will not have the GPX export option but will see these options:

RussRoberts_0-1683207172637.png

You will need to convert to the layers after export to GPX.

0 Kudos
BobGriest
New Contributor II

ok, I think I got what you are saying.  However, the question still remains as to how do I cut, crop, trim, extract or do whatever to seperate the outlined portion from the rest of the map. That is the real problem. 

Thank you again, Bob

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
0 Kudos
BobGriest
New Contributor II

RussRoberts, I have gone over and over the blog you have sent me, however, I cannot follow or understand the instructions provided within the blog. I appreciate the time and effort you have spent trying to help me but as always, with these computers, I am too stupid to do anything.

Thank you again, Bob 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

no worries, if you can send a screenshot of what you want clipped and share the web map I can help out.

0 Kudos
BobGriest
New Contributor II

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=dedbb07788384cc19990433a2fd394f9.

Russ, I forgot to ask if you can cut this from the same map but only in Map Viewer Classic becase the colors are brighter and when zooming in the details are much better. Is that ok?  Bob

0 Kudos
BobGriest
New Contributor II

Suddenly my map has been replaced by another bathy map!  The new map is basically all blue without any other colors and has a small window telling me; Authentication Failed. Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication.

I do not know what is going on here but if someone is playing games, please stop.

Russ, I will do another map so we can continue.  Thank you, Bob

0 Kudos