I can't upload a shapefile to ArcGIS Online

09-18-2018 09:47 PM
DainiusKavoliunas
New Contributor

I have a small shapefile but I fail to upload it.
I followed the troubleshooting instructions at Problem: Receiving errors when uploading a shapefile to ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Explorer Online, Busin...  but nothing seems to work. The shapefile is attached with this question. Any ideas what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dainius

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

I'm unable to open this shapefile in Desktop software also. Are you able to display this in other software?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I couldn't open it in ArcGIS Pro but it opens in ArcMap.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dainius Kavoliunas

I took a look at the shapefile in ArcMap and there appears to be an issue with the dataset geometry/projection.

It's default scale was approx 1:153,678,582,477.

Loading an Esri basemap into the same ArcMap session - full extent to view the entire planet is 1:190,223,335.

Zooming to Lithuania (I understand that this is what the shapefile represents) comes up as a scale of approx 1:3,000,000.

It appears that the geometry of the shapefile is causing issues.

shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Dainius,

I think I figured it out. The shapefile that you have shared as an attachment with your query was missing spatial index. You can execute the Check Geometry tool to verify the same. Check Geometry tool is located at ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features > Check Geometry. The tool will generate a .dbf file with the list of issues with your shapefile. I have attached the result along with this response.

You may either use Run Geometry tool or simply export the shapefile into a new shapefile to resolve the issue.

Check Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Repair Geometry—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

I hope this helps!

~Shan

~Shan
DainiusKavoliunas
New Contributor

Oddly enough I still cannot add  "New_Test2_Shapefile_With_Check_Geometry" layer to ArcGis online map. I unzipped the package, selected .shp, .shx, .dbf, and .prj files and zipped again with no success)

0 Kudos
DainiusKavoliunas
New Contributor

I started messing with the file and found an interesting thing. 
I edited the  .prj file of the original project (before fixing geometries) in a way that I added "PROJCS["Mercator_1SP"," in front of other text and guess what, the ArcGis online actually loaded the data! However, it is in wrong position and scale. I guess the whole problem is with the CRS or just .pjr file in general. Any thoughts? Layer rendered in wrong position

0 Kudos
DainiusKavoliunas
New Contributor

The answer was in .prj file. Because it was auto generated, it wasn't the right one. Changing it to the right one fixed the problem  Thanks guys for the ideas! Sorry for the spam

0 Kudos