How to share 3d (Z) polylines on AGOL or Portal?

Jump to solution
02-09-2017 12:52 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

I was trying to load 3d lines to AGOL from Pro 1.4 with some problems. Using the "Share as Web Scene" in a scene with two linear layers, I shared the web scene and the related feature layers to my AGOL. Opening the scene in AGOL, I discovered that only some layers are present, while others are just listed but empty (no geometries nor rows in the attribute table).

So, as I found documentations on sharing 3d points and multipatch, but not 3d lines (and polygons), except a page saying that "it is possible to do it", I'd be happy if someone could provide a useful link, or a brief explanation on how to share 3d lines to AGOL (or Portal). Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a current limitation with the data going into SQLAzure and pretty much being rejected. A workaround could be the elevator lines be converted to multipatch and publishing them in a scene layer package or you can use the beta feature where you can publish a scene layer from a feature layer (multipatch or points) for the time being while we continue to look for a solution for this issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The layer that is empty does it have lines that are completely vertical (same xy diferent z values).

AlessandroValra

Exactly! This was my guess that having geometries with ShapeLength = 0 (only vertical length) is the problem. Can you confirm this? Am I forced to change the xy a bit or is there any workaround? Also, not all geometries are like this (it's a layer representing stairs and elevators, and only the elevators have same xy nodes). Thanks!

UPDATE

I removed the elevators and now I can see the geometries. Again, is there something I can do except moving the xy coordinates (it does not make much sense for elevators)? Thanks again for pointing me to the right directions for solving the problem.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This is a current limitation with the data going into SQLAzure and pretty much being rejected. A workaround could be the elevator lines be converted to multipatch and publishing them in a scene layer package or you can use the beta feature where you can publish a scene layer from a feature layer (multipatch or points) for the time being while we continue to look for a solution for this issue.

0 Kudos
AlessandroValra

Ok thanks. I think I will try to recreate my elevators as multipatch as a workaround then until the vertical lines will become supported.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Let me know if you have another question and I will try to remember to update this thread when this issue has been fixed.

0 Kudos
JulieKottamala1
New Contributor II

Hi Russell,

Did this issue get resolved? I have 3D polylines and I want to publish it as scene layer, what's the best way to go about it?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You will still have to convert the features to multipatch to keep the vertical lines that share the same xy with different z values.

Problem: Z and M values are not returned for some features in a feature layer hosted in ArcGIS Onlin... 

You can use this tool:

Buffer 3D—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
JulieKottamala1
New Contributor II

hmm, it keeps failing and crashing Arcmap. I have 3D polylines projected to web mercator and I tried creating 1 inch buffer using the buffer 3D tool. Am I missing anything ? any thoughts?

0 Kudos