How to make layers in Alphabetic Order in Web Map through ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
10-31-2021 04:32 AM
Abdullah_AlFazari
Occasional Contributor

Hello Community,

Kindly, I've a Web Map in ArcGIS Online which contains many feature layers, and I'm wondering if there is an option to make all of these layers in Alphabetic Order. The below screenshot illustrates some of the layers I've now.

Abdullah_AlFazari_1-1635679819185.png

Thanks in Advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have access to ArcGIS Pro, 

1. Sign-in to ArcGIS Online from ArcGIS Pro (if not yet done). Add the web map to ArcGIS Pro.

JayantaPoddar_0-1635688110246.png

2. Sort Layers by Name.

JayantaPoddar_1-1635688219551.png

3. Share > Save Web Map

JayantaPoddar_2-1635688305411.png

* While testing, I would recommend to Save as a New Web Map. Sometimes the symbology of the original layers in the webmap could change.

Think Location

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe there is a built-in "sort layers" option, but you might be able to do this with a bit of Python by pulling out the WebMap's JSON, accessing the operationalLayers object, then modifying that and updating the web map with it. I could write up a more specific example if you wanted to go that route, but I know code-based solutions aren't always what people are looking for.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Abdullah_AlFazari
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks Josh.

I though that there is a specific tool like the layer ascending or "sort layers" which will order the layers by a click. Anyhow, I'm not sure if it's possible to apply a Python code in the ArcGIS Online yet. 

Highly appreciate your response.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have access to ArcGIS Pro, 

1. Sign-in to ArcGIS Online from ArcGIS Pro (if not yet done). Add the web map to ArcGIS Pro.

JayantaPoddar_0-1635688110246.png

2. Sort Layers by Name.

JayantaPoddar_1-1635688219551.png

3. Share > Save Web Map

JayantaPoddar_2-1635688305411.png

* While testing, I would recommend to Save as a New Web Map. Sometimes the symbology of the original layers in the webmap could change.

Think Location
Abdullah_AlFazari
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks Jayanta for your valuable response.

I've published over the ArcGIS Online, Beta viewer, but let me give a try using ArcGIS Pro, and will get back to you is this work with me.

Many thanks dear.

0 Kudos
Abdullah_AlFazari
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

This is a brilliant solution. I just tried it and it worked smoothly with me. Your support is highly appreciated.

0 Kudos