How to get ArcGIS layer from GoogleSheets csv to actually update?

Jump to solution
03-05-2018 10:09 AM
TobyJacobs2
New Contributor II

Hi - 

I published a GoogleSheet page as a csv and loaded it into AGOL, symbolized, etc... I then set the refresh interval and made some changes to the GoogleSheet to make sure it was updating. The symbols all flash every 12 seconds (showing that it's refreshing), but none of the info actually changes to reflect the new Google sheet values.

If I click to open the Table for the layer in AGOL it gives me a "Please Wait...Accessing Data" screen which may or may not have an end (I turned it off after 15 mins). At least some of the data gets updated when I do that, even though I don't let it finish.

I've tried a few variations of saving and reloading the map, but the partial table load seems to be the only way to get it to kind of work. Based on what I'm doing with the data, they only really need to be updated once a week and a day delay will be fine, but it would be nice to know that it's going to happen automatically. Anyone with experience have any tips to try?

Thanks,

Toby   

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimmyKroon
Occasional Contributor II

I just managed to get this fixed. I believe the problem was I was adding the CSV using 'Add data from file' which actually loads the data from a browser cache version. I switched to 'Add Data from the Web' and entered the Google Drive URL to the csv. Now it updates every time I refresh the map.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JimmyKroon

I'm having the same problem. Seems easy to setup according to several block posts from ESRI, but it looks like AGOL keeps using a cached version of the data instead of reloading the published csv data.

If I view the published Google csv, the data is updated there, so it's not a Google setting. It's AGOL not checking the csv for updates. This is even when checking the map a week later and in a different browser. However, if I create a new layer with the same csv data url, the new layer shows the updated data, but no further changes after the layer is created.

JimmyKroon

I just managed to get this fixed. I believe the problem was I was adding the CSV using 'Add data from file' which actually loads the data from a browser cache version. I switched to 'Add Data from the Web' and entered the Google Drive URL to the csv. Now it updates every time I refresh the map.

CatieFitzgerald
New Contributor

Hi, I uploaded my data the same way you said fixed it, but mine is not updating in my map when I refresh. Is there another part to this?

0 Kudos
JimmyKroon

Hi Catie,

Can you send a link to the csv you're trying to import. And is the map you're making public? Or can it be. If so a link to that would help too.

Jimmy

0 Kudos