How to enable feature searching in my Web Map? Options missing!

Jump to solution
04-05-2016 04:29 AM
TheoFaull
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I have a web map on arcgis online. I have uploaded a zipped shapefile containing polygons with a mostly populated attribute table. I want the end user to be able to run a search when using my map, so they can search for info within this feature.

Using ESRI's tips, they say go to the 'about' button on the left> then 'more details'> then 'edit' map. At the bottom under properties> application settings, there is meant to be an expandable setting called 'find locations'. But I can only see Routing, Measure Tool and Basemap Selector. ???

I'd really appreciate some advice!

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

It looks like you are using an ArcGIS Online Public Account.  You will need an ArcGIS Online Organizational account to create hosted feature service.  If you have an ArcGIS Desktop license, you are entitled to an ArcGIS Online Organizational account.  To activate it, you can contact customer service at 888-377-4575.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Theo,

You will only be able to search for layers that are feature services.  You can convert the zipped shapefile to a feature service.  To do this, go to My Content > Add Item > From My Computer.  Browse to the zipped shapefile and check the option 'Publish this layer as a hosted layer'.

Screen1.PNG

Add the hosted feature service to your web map and then you can search for features within this layer.

TheoFaull

thanks I'll try this out and get back to you. Perhaps it should be made clearer on your website?

0 Kudos
TheoFaull

Ok so, I followed your steps but don't have that Publish option available...

esri_question.JPG

I have Arc 10.0 if it makes any difference.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

It looks like you are using an ArcGIS Online Public Account.  You will need an ArcGIS Online Organizational account to create hosted feature service.  If you have an ArcGIS Desktop license, you are entitled to an ArcGIS Online Organizational account.  To activate it, you can contact customer service at 888-377-4575.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Jake Skinner wrote:

It looks like you are using an ArcGIS Online Public Account. You will need an ArcGIS Online Organizational account to create hosted feature service. If you have an ArcGIS Desktop license, you are entitled to an ArcGIS Online Organizational account. To activate it, you can contact customer service at 888-377-4575.

I would change that to "If you have an ArcGIS Desktop license on current annual maintenance"   and if you are the administrator of the account, then you can activate it.  But since Theo is on ArcGIS Desktop 10.0, it may be that he is not.  Also, if you are not the administrator of the account, you would want to talk to the person that is to create the ArcGIS Online for Organization account, and work thru them for a user account.

TheoFaull

oh we replied at the same time Rebecca! thanks for the extra info. Hopefully Jake Skinner​ can clarify about whether 10.0 is OK or not for this.

So the Admin for my office should create the account for Online Organisatoinal and I would just use that?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The Desktop version shouldn't matter if you are working on the ArcGIS Online to create the feature service.  Again, as long as you are on maintenance and have the Org account. 

You can publish from ArcGIS Map (but can't remember if 10.0 is ok).

TheoFaull

Yes we have a few Desktop licenses here I believe. Would a single Online Organisational account cover all of the licenses? or does each license need their own account?

Also do you have a UK number for activation? or email? Jake Skinner

Thanks

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You will get a named user within ArcGIS Online for each Desktop license you have.  For example, if you have 5 Desktop licenses, you would have one ArcGIS Online Organization with 5 named users.

I would call the General Enquiries and Switchboard number from the below link:

Contact | Esri UK