Select to view content in your preferred language

How to create polygons based on CSV file of Zip Codes?

Jump to solution
10-26-2023 06:20 AM
Labels (1)
SimonEhlinger
New Contributor

I am trying to create a map that visualizes the attendees of a meeting based on their zipcodes, but for some reason the CSV file I am using that has the zip code and attendee data won't load into ArcGIS online properly. Whenever I try to add it as a new layer from the CSV file, it won't let me change the location settings to show that the file contains zip code information. It only lets me organize it by latitude and longitude, which is not data I have in the CSV file. How can I get it so that the location settings allows me to group my data by zip code instead of only by latitude and longitude and create a new layer in my map? Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 9.18.57 AM.png 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanNowlan
Esri Contributor

Hi Simon,

Typically you should see an option to map your data by address location:

JonathanNowlan_0-1698341116680.png

There is a credit cost associated with this type of feature creation. 

Are you using an ArcGIS Online subscription account or a free ArcGIS Online account?

If it's an ArcGIS Online subscription account, is it possible your account does not have the permission to create features by geocoding?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JonathanNowlan
Esri Contributor

Hi Simon,

Typically you should see an option to map your data by address location:

JonathanNowlan_0-1698341116680.png

There is a credit cost associated with this type of feature creation. 

Are you using an ArcGIS Online subscription account or a free ArcGIS Online account?

If it's an ArcGIS Online subscription account, is it possible your account does not have the permission to create features by geocoding?

JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

Do you want to end up with a layer that shows the variable as a dot of various color and size in the center of the ZIP code?

Or do you want to make a choropleth, the typical ZIP shape colored in based on the variable?

Do you have access to the Office365 plugin for Excel or not?  If so, some shortcuts.

Otherwise, gotta do an upload as table, then do a JOIN with the actual ZIP code layer from Living Atlas.  That joins the variable from your table with the graphic so it can be styled.

0 Kudos