How to add features to existing hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
03-30-2020 06:42 AM
FranklinAlexander
Occasional Contributor III

I have a hosted feature layer that contains data from fieldwork conducted by our researchers. Because data collection sites are in the ocean, the researchers do not want to take surveys on site, but would rather upload the data once back in the office. This presents a challenge for appending location data to the existing hosted feature layer and I haven't been able to figure out a good way to accomplish this. I know it is possible to append data to a hosted feature layer from the details section of the hosted feature layer on my account content page, but this is not a good solution. First of all, I am the only one who has access to this database since it was created using my account, therefore I am not only person who can append data to it. 

I was hoping that I could create an editable web map that the biologists could use to edit and add data to the layer, but this doesn't seem to be possible either. I can import data from a csv file to the map, but there is no way to append it to the existing layer (at least none that I can find). I know it is possible to add features by clicking on the map, but this is not very accurate. I really need the ability to add features by typing in the exact coordinates, or by appending from a .csv file that contains the exact coordinates. Am I missing something, or is there no way to do this?

I also tried creating a web app, but basically have the same problem. There is a 'edit' widget, but no import function.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah ok, fair enough. Definitely makes sense to want something simpler if it will need to be field workers rather than GIS professionals making the updates. 

You're likely aware that you can use the search bar in the web map to find the exact coordinates of a point. Is this what you're saying is not accurate enough? Or were you just referring to dropping points visually based on referencing the basemap?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

You mentioned that you tried importing data from a csv...have you tried merging that csv point layer to your existing point layer, and then overwriting the hosted service?

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

Yes, I see how that would work, but I am looking for an easier solution. I won't be the one making these updates, the researchers will be responsible and they will only have access to the data through the map and/or application. Overwriting the data every time seems a little risky if not done correctly.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Ah ok, fair enough. Definitely makes sense to want something simpler if it will need to be field workers rather than GIS professionals making the updates. 

You're likely aware that you can use the search bar in the web map to find the exact coordinates of a point. Is this what you're saying is not accurate enough? Or were you just referring to dropping points visually based on referencing the basemap?

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

I never thought of using the search bar, that would work great for adding a few points, thanks!.  If they need to add a lot of points, then I think the best solution is the one I am using now, a combination of the 'Add Data' widget and the "Edit" widget.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Good luck!

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DonShawEsri
Esri Contributor

Hi Franklin Alexander‌, have you looked into Append Features | ArcGIS for Developers ?

Can you elaborate on why this is not possible?

"I was hoping that I could create an editable web map that the biologists could use to edit and add data to the layer, but this doesn't seem to be possible either."

0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

I meant not possible to import gps locations (coords) and append to existing layers. The best solution I can find is to use the Add Data widget to import a csv file containing the coordinates and display on the map. I can then using the Edit widget to add new features to the existing layer by placing the new points directly on top of the points added from the csv file. I just surprised this can't be done with one widget. 

The python solution could potentially work. Theoretically I could see maybe creating a script tool that the biologists could use to add the data, so it's good to know that the option is available to me, just isn't something I have time to do right now.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hey Frank,

You can use ArcGIS Pro's Append tool to do this.

0 Kudos
FranklinAlexander

Yes you are right, that would probably be the best solution as long as the person adding is proficient in GIS. Not sure that will always be the case, but I can add that to my recommendations.

0 Kudos