How is the printing scale defined with the javascript templates?

Jump to solution
05-22-2013 12:47 PM
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II
Hi all,

Stemming from a conversation here, I've noticed that the scale of the map when the 'print' button is pressed, and the scale of the map that is printed / written to PDF are different...

How is the scale chosen when you print a map? Can it be set to use the same scale as when the print button is pressed?

Thanks!

-m
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
In general, scale is not preserved when you print from the ArcGIS.com map viewer. Instead, we preserve the extent. Thus, likely the map will be zoomed out to fit the extent in a (likely) smaller print area.

Given that the print map display is roughly 8" x 6", I have found that you can preserve the scale if you make the interactive map display area equal to or smaller than this.  It may take a few attempts to get the map centered right in the print view.

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
In general, scale is not preserved when you print from the ArcGIS.com map viewer. Instead, we preserve the extent. Thus, likely the map will be zoomed out to fit the extent in a (likely) smaller print area.

Given that the print map display is roughly 8" x 6", I have found that you can preserve the scale if you make the interactive map display area equal to or smaller than this.  It may take a few attempts to get the map centered right in the print view.

Mike
0 Kudos
MatthewBaker2
Occasional Contributor II
I see...

What we're going to do is print from ArcMap using Data Driven Pages...I had the (non-gis) user add a site boundary to use as the extent, and it is working quite well...130 sites!

Thanks again, Mike!!!

-m
0 Kudos