How do i get realistic 3D tree symbology to display in Web scenes??

06-16-2016 09:18 AM
Russellchapman
New Contributor III

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out a way to get realistic looking 3d trees into web scenes to view in agol "scenes".  I don't have access to city engine, but to have arcgis pro v1.2 and arcgis desktop suite 10.4.  I was hoping to be able to publish 3d marker feature services to represent trees in forestry visualizations.  something like this.

3Dtrees.JPG

I've been successful in the desktop software, but cannot seem to figure out how to get a feature service or some other method to make this sort of scene possible in the web scene viewer.  Anybody have any success getting 3d trees into the agol scene viewer?  Here's a video link for a scene i did in Pro and sort of what i'm hoping for in a web scene.  I know 3d markers are not supported in feature services currently, so has anyone figured out a workflow to display this sort of information in the web scene format?  Currently I have lidar derived points with height attributes i have been using to symbolize with 3d marker trees, both from the esri 3d tree library and marker symbols i have made in sketch up as well. 

Any ideas would be much appreciated. 

Cheers & Happy Mapping!

Russ

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I don't have any links handy but I thought you could export a scene from ArcGlobe/ArcScene into a cityEngine format file and then publish that as a 3D scene. That's my fuzzy recollection from last year's UC presentations.

0 Kudos
Russellchapman
New Contributor III

Thanks Steve,

I have played around a bit with exporting "city engine" web scenes (with minimal success), but thought that might be a way to do it, but the file types are really limiting and needing to clip data and dems down was problematic.  I was hoping to be able to publish city engine scenes out of arc pro, like you can in arc scene, not sure if that is coming or not, and publishing to agol webscene does not allow for 3d marker symbols.  anyway, thanks for the response

0 Kudos
IanLadd
New Contributor III

Hi Russell!

I'm wondering how you managed to render that many trees? I have a GIS specific computer, and have been using polygons filled with random 3D trees from ArcGIS, but it's still overloading my system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos