How do I get my public account back after subscription expired?

03-28-2023 05:49 PM
fionag11
New Contributor II

I had a free public account.

Then I got an ArcPro subscription for a year.

Now it has expired.

My esri account did not revert to public. When I go into ArcGIS Online, it bombards me with messages saying my account is expired. I cannot use ArcGIS Online anymore.

How do I revert it back to a free public account?

5 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Your user account is 'owned' by the ArcGIS Online organization. To revert to a 'public' account you need to:

• Sign into the ArcGIS Online organization as an administrator.
  • Remove all content and groups owned by the user
  • Remove the user from the organization (ensuring 'Esri Access' is enabled so that the account is not deleted entirely.

The issue is that you only have one user in your personal subscription. Meaning you can't sign in with an additional user to remove the other one. To achieve this, you need to contact Esri support, but they may also have some issues with your subscription being expired (support is limited for personal subscriptions and further limited if you don't have active maintenance).

For what it's worth, this account is an expired personal user account. It doesn't matter for me. I use other accounts for work. I can still sign into ArcGIS Online but I don't need to with this account for any reason. I can go back and renew my personal user subscription if I feel like.

0 Kudos
fionag11
New Contributor II

Thank you kindly for your quick answer. Although it was discouraging, as even if I could I do not want to remove all the content. I was hoping to save the content even if I couldn't edit it anymore.

0 Kudos
LukeAllen1
New Contributor II

Did you ever resolve this? I have the exact same issue right now.

0 Kudos
fionag11
New Contributor II

I just gave up on ArcGIS Online. Very disappointing. 

0 Kudos
florjanv
New Contributor II

I had a personal account two years ago, and I recently acquired another, and I am experiencing the same problem.

If you haven't found the solution in over a year, there is no point for me to keep attempting to contact them.

It's a shame how ESRI treat us.

0 Kudos