Select to view content in your preferred language

How do I create a Web Map in ArcGIS Online for an entire class to post and share their favorite eating places on campus? They all have free Public Accounts.

02-11-2016 10:53 AM
ChristopherKodani
New Contributor

I'm introducing a class to ArcGIS Online. I'd like to make a simple map of our campus, where each person in the class can post and share their favorite eating places ON JUST ONE MAP.  How do I make this happen?  They've all got public accounts, and I've even been able to create a group for them. Can I make a layer that they can all edit?  Would it be better for them to each make a layer and then share to the group? Thanks so much for any insight!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I would suggest just making one layer that is editable to the public (or to your group - that may be better), to where all of your students can edit that one layer. If each student made their own layer, then that will get crazy in the table of contents and not desirable.

Here is a document on making a layer editable

Edit features—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Oh, and here's an article on how to share your feature service with everyone:

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

KaylaFlamm
New Contributor III

You should look into using the GeoForm​ which allows for crowdsourcing. Also I would suggest participating in the Do-It-Yourself GeoApps massive open online course (MOOC) currently being offered by Esri! It has already started but I believe you can still sign up and do the exercises. The second section is all about using GeoForms.

0 Kudos
YueWu1
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Christopher,

You can share the webmap with everyone for your class to edit

Share maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Or maybe add all the students account into one group and share with this group.

What is a group?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Hope this can help.

0 Kudos