how do I change the labels in a legend in arcgis online?

Jump to solution
06-02-2017 07:18 AM
janispaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to change the default labels for a legend in ArcGIS online?  I want to change a number label to a text label. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Janis, 

What happens if you hover your mouse over the numbers? Do they become underlined? If so, if you click on it, it should change to a text box. 

This what I see:

-->

If this doesn't work, is your service public so I can take a look at it?

Carmel

View solution in original post

8 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Janis, 

This is possible - it depends on what drawing style you are using, but while you're in 'Change Style', either click on the label itself to change the text:

or click on 'Legend' and then click on the label text:

If you are using a layer that doesn't allow you to change the symbology, you may not be able to update the labels in the legend.

Carmel

janispaulsen
Occasional Contributor

image of legend optionsCarmel,

Thanks for your reply.

I am using a date field to symbolize on and I want to change the numbers next to the arrows, but it isn’t letting me add text.  And the legend icon does not seem to display for this option. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Janis, 

What happens if you hover your mouse over the numbers? Do they become underlined? If so, if you click on it, it should change to a text box. 

This what I see:

-->

If this doesn't work, is your service public so I can take a look at it?

Carmel

TriciaHines
New Contributor II

I am having this problem, too. I really wish you could edit the labels with text. It's currently limited to numbers.

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tricia, 

Can you provide some screenshots of what you're working with to see if we could resolve your issue?

Carmel

0 Kudos
TriciaHines
New Contributor II

legend label is limited to numbers

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Ah I see!

You might be able to come up with a work around by using Arcade (Useful blog:Use Arcade Expressions to Map Your Ideas ). The Arcade expression for the symbology for your layer would be something like:

if($feature.Chloro1 >= .08){
 return "Yes"
}
else{
 return "No"
}

Also in the layer symbology config, set the Transparancy to be Per feature based upon the same field:

The layer legend would look like this:

More help:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=3271f9b87c394c07b4a871257a5dc46b

I know this is different to yours as it removes the High to Low aspect, but you could copy the layer, apply the High to Low symbology, apply a transparancy and the map would have a hint of High to Low (might take some playing with!)

Carmel

0 Kudos
TriciaHines
New Contributor II

Alright, I'm about to attempt this. Thanks.