How do I add color to a country by category?

11-18-2016 04:21 AM
DitteLisbjerg
New Contributor

I am obviously new to ArcGIS but have worked some with Google Maps, OSM, mapbox.
Anyway I need someone to point me in the right direction.  
I have a pretty basic csv with name of country in one column and a category in another. Now I want a map where the country is red if category is A and yellow if category is B.

How do I get started?
I have an Enterprise account.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Ditte, 

To symbolise a layer based on a category or type, use Types (Unique Symbols): Change style—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Carmel

0 Kudos
DitteLisbjerg
New Contributor

Thanks. I did get that far. I now have Circles (symbol) on my map and the color is defined by the Category.
However I wanted the country shape to be colored according to the category. eg Estonia blue when field(risk)=low 
Thanks again

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Ditte,

Ah I see, you want to have your data displayed by polygons and not by points. You might be able to use the Aggregate Points tool to aggregate your points to a Living Atlas layer called World Countries, but I don't think it'll bring across the attributes that you want to symbolise by.

I'd suggest using ArcGIS Maps for Excel to join your csv data to a polygon layer of World Countries and then publish this layer to ArcGIS Online. ArcGIS Maps for Excel is a plug in you can download and install. When plotting the data on the map, you would follow this workflow: http://doc.arcgis.com/en/maps-for-office/design-and-use/add-layers-from-excel.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_6706... For step 3, search for World Countries.

Carmel

0 Kudos