Select to view content in your preferred language

How can I maintain Maplex labeling configurations from ArcGIS Pro when using the Map Viewer in ArcGIS Online (AGOL)?

12-08-2023 04:55 AM
Iguillen_abt
New Contributor II

Hello!

I've been working on finding a dynamic solution to disperse overlapping point markers in ArcGIS Online. Successfully, I've implemented a dynamic solution through Maplex labeling in ArcGIS Pro (see Image 1). However, when I publish this data to ArcGIS Online, the labeling configuration doesn't persist. I'm curious if there's a way to maintain the Maplex labeling setup from ArcGIS Pro in ArcGIS Online. Alternatively, I'm open to exploring other options for visualizing overlapping point data within the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer.

IsabelGuilln_0-1702039104601.png

Any insights or alternative suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

@mborobio_abtemas 

9 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@Iguillen_abt if you have ArcGIS Server, one option would be to publish as an ArcGIS Server service rather than an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service.  An ArcGIS Server service should maintain the maplex labeling.  

mborobio_abtemas
New Contributor II

Unfortunately in this case the client has ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You might have luck exporting just the labels to vector tiles in AGO, either directly or through a tile package.

mborobio_abtemas
New Contributor II

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll look into it.
Do you know if this solution would work for data that is updated periodically through a survey?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Republishing vector tiles isn't much fun. You do have the option of publishing a hosted feature layer with a linked vector tile layer, which gives you the ability to refresh the vector tiles in place as edits are made to the hosted layer.

Note, vector tile styling ≠ maplex. Each can do things the other cannot.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Iguillen_abt
New Contributor II

Thank you for the suggestion, we will give it a try and see if it works.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If they are hosted feature services, Portal also lets you use something called a Hosted Map Image Layer, which references a hosted layer as its source, but gives you all the advanced symbology and labeling capabilities of Pro.

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/map-image-layer.htm

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
mborobio_abtemas
New Contributor II

How interesting @jcarlson. We will surely use your suggestion in other clients.
Do you know if there is any option for AGOL?

0 Kudos