Select to view content in your preferred language

Hosted Feature Layer Symbology repair on AGOL - techniques

08-14-2024 10:11 AM
MattReeves_SpokaneValley
Regular Contributor

I recently noticed that the symbology I had published from ArcGIS Pro to a Hosted Feature Layer had been reverted to just a black dot for all unique symbol values within the WebMap. I was recently making some schema changes to that Hosted Feature Layers data, unrelated to the field that defines the symbology, but this is the only thing I can think would have caused this. This layer had been running without problem since August of 2022. My question is, am I able to restore the symbols for the unique field values using only AGOL, without having to re-publish it out from ArcGIS Pro again? I looked through the new available symbol sets available on ArcGIS Online, and the symbols I need are not available in the lists. They are not complicated symbols, and I have other hosted layers representing the same symbol sets with slightly different colors, that have different defining parameters).

I noticed that I am able  to upload a Desktop Style .stylx file to my ArcGIS Online account, and also .lyrx files to my ArcGIS Online account. Is there any way to call to these style and/or layer files from the Styles menu within the ArcGIS Online WebMap to reset the symbology that way? I didn't see that this was possible.

My Hosted feature layer has 2,500 points all of which have photo attributes totaling a file size of about 2GB.  If I cannot restore the symbology on ArcGIS Online, is the best method to accomplish this, to download the hosted data as a fGDB and then using ArcGIS Pro, just overwrite the existing feature layer where the symbology had been reverted back to a standard black dot? I am really hoping to avoid doing this as the app is live and in use daily.

I've attached what the symbols looked like before, and what they reverted to.

Matt Reeves
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can publish that desktop style from Pro and create a web style. The web style can then be added to symbol styler a couple ways

- Share to an org group that has been set to drive the web style gallery

- Add it to Symbol Styler inside Map Viewer 

Using the Types style on the filed you were using to uniquely renderer that field + the web style should get you back to a state where the map looks the same. 

Couple blogs to help you out

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/a-new-way-to-add-web-styles-in-map-v...

0 Kudos