Having an official account

06-10-2015 07:47 AM
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

I want to publish our maps under an official account.  I found where you can change owners and make the official account become the owner of the account.  This works fine if they original owner doesn't need to update the map anymore.  Is there another way to publish the maps under an official account without taking the maps/data away from the original owner and changing the owner to the official account?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chaya,

The owner (Administrator) of the account should give you the privilege of a publisher. This can be done from "My Organisation" page through Administrator's login.

Also make sure the data/web map is shared with the concerned groups/everyone so that the publisher can make use of the map.

Think Location
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Chaya,

I'm assuming it's because you want the metadata to list an official name instead of an individual?  That would be my purpose and desire.  I saw another agency that had an account with their department name and must publish under that name.  I created an account like this for our agency, but still have the account linked to my email.  This account could then have the required rights needed to publish, and users could share, but that isn't a practical or very secure process (in my opinion).  I know the various ArcGIS Online tools can change ownership, but again, if needed often this isn't an option.

So, I'm also interested in how others are setting this up and if they have some tricks to make it both practical and secure from an agencies point of view.

0 Kudos
ChayaBalsiger
Occasional Contributor

Rebecca,

I want the metadata to list an official name instead of an individual.  I too created an account that could be the official account.  So far the only thing that I could find that would show the official account name as the publisher name was to change ownership.  I haven't been able to find an easier solution that would just change the name for who published it and not remove the contents from the original owner's content.

0 Kudos