geoenrichment race data issue

Jump to solution
07-21-2016 11:48 AM
Dr_Carter
New Contributor III

Hi.

I just ran the enrich layer tool in ArcGIS Online for the DC area by adding the 2016 Black/African American Non-Hispanic Population (Esri) data, as well as others from the race options.

The problem is that the results appear to be percentages, not population counts. The highest black census tract has a value of 37, which could not be count data.

Is this an error? Is there any way to get the population count data, not percentages? I didn't see the option when selecting the data.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reporting this, we've been looking into it today and it seems that there are a handful of race & ethnicity variables which have an incorrect alias (the field alias is used for display in the table), and thus the table header in your previous screen cap shows incorrect names for some variables. We apologize for the inconvenience and will be patching this very soon. If possible we'd like to get you in touch with our technical support team so we can track this as a bug and provide the best possible assistance. We'll be reaching out to you again shortly.

Thanks,

-Daniel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Is this variable you were using? Is it from the Race & Hispanic Origin category?

2016 Black/African American Population (Esri)

RaceAndEthnicity.Black_CY

This variable from the Race and Ethnicity Category is a percentage:

Black Alone

RaceAndEthnicity.Black_CY_P

Note that _CY means current year and _P means percentage. You can see the full variable name by hovering over the information icon

Race.png

If you can provide a bit more info on the study areas you're using that would help also, do you have a layer of census tracts that you've added to the map?

Thanks,

-Daniel

Dr_Carter
New Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

Within Enrich Layer, in step 2 I Select Variables, then click Race and then all Race Variables. I expanded the "2016 Race and Hispanic Origin (Esri)" box, then selected "2016

Black/African American Non-Hispanic Population (Esri)".

From what I see there is nothing stating if it is percentage or count data. Another thing is, the "White Non-Hispanic Population (Esri)" value and the Non-Hispanic American Indian values seem like counts. Non-Hispanic Asian, as with blacks, has very low values and seem to be percentages. That's what makes me wonder if there is an error in the data.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Dr_Carter
New Contributor III

Hi again Daniel.

I was just playing around with the geoenrichment again, to see if I can figure out what is happening with the count vs. percent data, and noticed another issue. As in the image below, you can see that the boxes that are checked did not select the correct variables.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reporting this, we've been looking into it today and it seems that there are a handful of race & ethnicity variables which have an incorrect alias (the field alias is used for display in the table), and thus the table header in your previous screen cap shows incorrect names for some variables. We apologize for the inconvenience and will be patching this very soon. If possible we'd like to get you in touch with our technical support team so we can track this as a bug and provide the best possible assistance. We'll be reaching out to you again shortly.

Thanks,

-Daniel

0 Kudos
Dr_Carter
New Contributor III

Thanks Daniel and Fasil.

Could my original issue of some results appearing to be percentages rather than counts be related to this?

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris,

This is also related to the variables issue Daniel discussed above. I hope you received my emails that I sent from the case we created for you with all the details.

Thanks,

fasil

0 Kudos
Dr_Carter
New Contributor III

Thanks Fasil.

Chris Carter, MBA, PhD

Professor of Geography.

Long Beach City College

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris,

This is Fasil from Support. A case has been created for you and you should receive an email with an update on this case. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Fasil

Esri Support

0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor

Chris,

This has been patched, please let us know if you see any further issues.

Thanks,

-Daniel

0 Kudos