Flckr content not displaying in AGO Public Map App

09-15-2014 06:46 AM
katherineobrien
New Contributor

I am testing an ESRI ArcGIS online map application called Public.  It claims to display social media content from Flickr in a map interface.  I have tagged the photos and set the map to search for the tags within the map's extent.

I have uploaded an image to Flickr tagged with the desired term.  I made sure the pic is set to public and turned the geo info on.

Any ideas why my pic will not display?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

Please take a look at this blog:

Add Flickr photos to ArcGIS Online web maps | ArcGIS Blog

You have to pull a certain part of the HTML version of the URL into the pop-up.

0 Kudos
katherineobrien
New Contributor

Thanks Katie.  I understand about the pop up on a feature.  What I am trying to accomplish is to display Flckr  and Twitter posts in an app template like  Public App.

Ref:  Public Information Map

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Katherine,

I gave it a quick shot, and I can't get it to show a photo I added either...  however,  I also can't find it when I am not signed into flickr at flickr itself.  I set it public, it has a location  not sure why it can't be found with Flickr search.

Start by trying to find your photo at Flickr - Flickr Search

Also, I notice if I can find the photo here Flickr: Explore everyone's photos on a Map   I can find it in the public map as well.   My picture doesn't appear to be find-able either.

Mark

0 Kudos
katherineobrien
New Contributor

Mark,

I appreciate the Flickr Search suggestion.  I searched on the tag I specified and my photo appears even if I am not signed into Flickr.

In the AGO Public App I deleted my tag terms and both Flickr and Twitter posts appear in the map area(user must sign into twitter account for tweets to appear).

I am stumped as to why they don't appear with search terms defined.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Katherine,

It turns out that this is a known issue for which a defect was logged. The Public App will not return images for search terms.

Here is a link you can use to track the status of this issue:

NIM103293 - The Public Information Map application does not re..

Thanks!

0 Kudos
katherineobrien
New Contributor

I am a bit confused.  I opened the Public App and selected configure app so I could change the search terms as a test.

I replaced the term I was testing in my Flickr account with another term and Flickr icons appeared.  (see image)

I figured BEER would be a very popular term in Durham and sure enough I get hits.  I am trying to achieve the same outcome for the search IMHAPPY.  The photo I uploaded to Flickr that is set to public with permission to show location and the hashtag IMHAPPY does not display when I set the search term to IMHAPPY.

I am wondering why this must be the case.  Does Flickr want a set number of pics before it will display?

AGO_Flckr.jpg

0 Kudos