Select to view content in your preferred language

Filter stored in source layer?

Jump to solution
05-22-2024 01:39 PM
Labels (2)
ElijahSchwanitz
New Contributor

Hello!

I have a hosted feature in ArcGIS online. This layer is included in a webmap, which serves as the source for a dashboard.

Somehow, this source layer has had a filter applied to it, which filters out a large segment of my data. I can remove this filter within the webmap, which lets me see all of the data as expected. However, doing so indicates that this filter setting is stored only in the webmap. If I "reset to source layer properties", the filter comes back.

ElijahSchwanitz_0-1716410105751.png

When I use this data anywhere other than this webmap, the filter still seems to be applied. This is true on the data tab of this layer's item page, as well as when I add the portal item to an ArcGIS Pro document. Outside the web map, there isn't any indication that the rest of the data exists at all.

How can I remove this filter from the source layer's properties?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It's possible that the filter is saved in the layer.

Item details, Visualization tab, check for filters on the layers, then if you remove them, make sure to save the changes.

RhettZufelt_0-1716415242477.png

R_

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JustB
by
New Contributor II

I've noticed a similar issue with symbolizing a hosted layer in AGOL. The layer was symbolized the same way that I had the layer symbolized in ArcGIS Pro, and as such, it created templates in AGOL based off the symbolization. I had to re-publish the hosted layer without any special symbolization to remove the automatic symbolization settings.

My assumption is, if your layer was published to AGOL from ArcGIS Pro, it copies over all of the existing settings that you had for that layer in ArcGIS Pro, so if you had this filter applied to the layer when you originally published it from ArcGIS Pro, the filter is now set as a default in the hosted layer. You would have to remove the filter in ArcGIS Pro and then re-publish the hosted layer again.

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor

It's possible that the filter is saved in the layer.

Item details, Visualization tab, check for filters on the layers, then if you remove them, make sure to save the changes.

RhettZufelt_0-1716415242477.png

R_

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can also remove the filter from the map you are viewing it in and save that change back to the item by clicking Save (if its associated to an existing item) or clicking Save As will create a new item that will not have the filter applied and you can reuse that across other apps and maps.

RussRoberts_0-1716474987394.png