Feature service not aviavble in ArcGIS online and Collector when not connected to the network

08-20-2015 10:29 AM
RandallClark2
Occasional Contributor II

So i have two services hosted on my server, one is feature service set up for editing and the other is map service.

Im using these services in AGOL and Collector for GIS. im am using the REST Service through my webadaptor not the local 6080.

When i am work and connect to our work WIFI network everything works perfect however soon as i get off the work network and on to say my home network i can not connect to the map in ArcGIS online or in Collector, when i try it say  "<feature service> not available NSURL Error -10003".

So thoughts?

TL;DR

ArcGIS online and collector can connect to hosted service when connected to the work network but not when connected to a non work network.

ArcGIS server 10.3.1, Collector for ArcGIS OSX

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Your firewall could be blocking access to your server. You can try to use a vpn app like JunosPulse to connect to your network and then try reloading the web map and layers again and see if that works.

Russ

RandallClark2

That makes sense. When i try to connect to the url for the service it self (http://afgisweb/arcgis/rest/services/basemap/basemap_aerial/MapServer )i get a similar error (maybe) "Server can not be found. DNS look up failed"

but regardless isnt the webadator supposed to get around this?

0 Kudos
RandallClark2

Is there way to configure the firewall so that i can connect with out using a  VPN? and i am assuming its more then just the windows firewalls i have yo deal with?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-ZUbHWeAIF9xZ
New Contributor II

I agree with Russel on this topic. Your Feature services are not reachable outside your company LAN. If you have any option to remote your work and test the same. Your company should have an approved VPN app.

RandallClark2

i am think you might be right but i though the web adapter was supposed to get around this, ie make it so that your services could be available to people outside the network?

0 Kudos
deleted-user-ZUbHWeAIF9xZ
New Contributor II

If you want to expose your services to outside world, you have to setup DMZ(demilitarized zone sometimes referred to as a perimeter network)

0 Kudos