Excel uploads on AGOL, works at all?

10-19-2018 12:54 AM
NachoMoreno
New Contributor II

I try to automate the map making process creating a map based on excel data and trying my colleagues to update the maps themselves. As usual with ESRI, the tool is SO buggy that might scrap the process alltogether because the update never happens to work and have my workmates always caliming that gives them an error. The solution is to do the map from scratch every time.

Is ESRI planning to make this work as it should?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What type of errors? and have you seen the the various tips?

Are you saving the files in Unicode? spaces in field names?

anything specific?

Excel Tips for ArcGIS Online as an example, there are more

NachoMoreno
New Contributor II

All sorts, its really upsetting. My colleague cant update, I cant upload a CSV cos accents wont show (in teh text) with CSV UTF8 is not recognising the numeric fields, also when you add a new column wont work and I could go on. So is basically as usual with ESRI they create a feature that works 1% fo the time. 

Same issues with Onedrive used once and after so many issues had to stop using it.

Thanks for your interest, will check the link you shared. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

What about featureclass tables?

Are you avoiding using Excel to Table in the process?

Excel To Table—Conversion toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

FAQ: Is it possible to publish standalone tables to ArcGIS Online? 

There are probably other links.

Kelly Gerrow‌ is there a consolidated guide for excel somewhere?

0 Kudos
NachoMoreno
New Contributor II

AGOL is suposed to be used by non GIS professionals too, so I need to avoid any external or complicated tool, this includes dektop im afraid.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes that would be a limitation.

Work with Microsoft Excel files in ArcGIS Pro—Excel | ArcGIS Desktop 

has some good principles on how to format excel files to be used in arcmap or ArcGIS pro.

although not infallible, it circumvents many common issues, hopefully the guidelines make sense for the non-gis professionals.

Kelly Gerrow may have additional AGOL specific recommendations about using excel files or more generally, using tabular data.

Good luck

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

Are you using Esri Maps for Office or Uploading a file to ArcGIS Online and publishing using Add Item?

Are you able to share the spreadsheet? 

Thanks,

Kelly

NachoMoreno
New Contributor II

I gave up actually. My intention was to use this with non GIS or expert users, just overwrite excel and that's it to have the map updated. Anyone who has ever used any of these tools (upload excel to AGOL, or ESRI maps for office) knows how buggy they are. 

Cant share the data, its company data.

0 Kudos