Esri's Basemaps need to be updated!

04-08-2022 09:47 AM
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

Some parts of Manhattan look to be a year's old. The info is completely wrong. What is the process of communicating updates to Esri?

Unfortunately, Esri's basemaps cannot be used by my group if they are this inaccurate 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

where in Manhattan?

0 Kudos
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

Hudson Yards

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Check out the Basemap Feedback map:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=28450cb78b324aaeaadb751e92d16ae0

How's the OpenStreetMap basemap look there? With OSM, you have some power to make changes directly. If the update interval isn't an issue, that is.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
DougSims_GT
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this link. I added a couple of notes to hopefully get a couple of buildings removed that have been demolished for many years. 

0 Kudos
DMFACER
New Contributor III

Does Esri say anywhere in their documentation that their basemaps will be kept up to date within a specific timeframe?  It was my understanding that the Esri basemaps are based on aerial imagery that is shared with Esri by other organizations that own that imagery.  I don't believe Esri it creating their own imagery, and I don't believe they have assured that it would always match the current conditions.

Does anyone have more insight into what Esri's basemap policy is?

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I know that at least with the OpenStreetMap basemaps, those lag a few weeks behind releases of the Daylight Map Distribution, which itself lags a few weeks behind OSM itself. Depending on your timing, you could edit features in OSM and see those basemaps updated within 1-2 months. If it's a feature in one of the OSM feature layers (not a basemap), you'd see them update in 15 minutes.

Now, for the non-OSM basemaps, I don't believe I've ever seen anything about update intervals.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos