Select to view content in your preferred language

Error An error occurred while overwriting the item. Feature Layer will not overwrite anymore

4 weeks ago
Labels (2)
SlimmingWorldUK
New Contributor

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me. Each month I go into our content to overwrite some feature layers.

This month, for each feature layer I try to overwrite with the latest information, I get this error

"Error

An error occurred while overwriting the item."

When i go back to the content screen the shape file looks like it has changed as the edited date has updated, but the feature layer is still on old version. 
I have tried to overwrite using older version which were successful in the past and these also give me the error. 
thanks in advance
image (9).png
2 Replies
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

I am also having this problem.  I had it a few months ago, and ended up having to fully recreate the hosted feature layer because I was having a hard time figuring it out and just needed to get it done.  Now I am having the problem with another layer that I have been overwriting for a few years now, but all of a sudden it won't overwrite.        One thing I did notice in this layer today is that there is one column that is named something like W23232.GW_SAMPLE_PT_VAR.FID,    but in the source feature class, the actual field name  is with underscores instead of periods.    however the ALIAS in the source feature class uses periods.       Could it possibly be that Esri previously loaded data using Aliases, but has now changed it to use the actual field name?

0 Kudos
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

@SlimmingWorldUK, an update to this...  I kept trying different things and found today that for this layer, I had changed the AGOL feature layer name after publishing it.    If I changed the AGOL feature layer name back to match its Rest Endpoint service name (see attached image), then I was able to do the overwrite.   Then I just changed the name back in AGOL afterwards.