Select to view content in your preferred language

Enhancing Prayer Time Accuracy with GIS: Mapping the Qibla Direction

07-31-2024 08:24 AM
Labels (3)
ZaurLisbet
New Contributor

Hello GIS community,

I'm working on a project to improve the accuracy of Qibla direction services on a website dedicated to prayer times, like the "boussole priere" (prayer compass) feature this site used. My goal is to use GIS capabilities to provide accurate Qibla directions to users based on their current location.

Currently, we face challenges in accurately determining the Qibla direction for users in remote or less accurately mapped areas. I'm interested in using ArcGIS Online to integrate more detailed geographical data and enhance our service.

Here's a breakdown of what I'm looking to achieve:

1. Data Integration: How can I integrate high-resolution satellite imagery and topographical maps into ArcGIS Online to improve the precision of Qibla direction calculations?

2. User Location Accuracy: What are the best practices for obtaining and using user location data within ArcGIS Online to ensure the Qibla direction is accurate? How can I address issues related to location data accuracy and precision in different regions?

3. Algorithm Development: Are there any existing algorithms or tools within ArcGIS that can help in calculating the Qibla direction accurately, considering the curvature of the Earth and the user's exact geographical position?

4. Visualization: What are the best methods for visualizing the Qibla direction on a map within our website? I am looking for suggestions on how to create an intuitive and user-friendly interface that can dynamically adjust based on the user's location.

5. Performance Optimization: As the website needs to handle a large number of users simultaneously, how can I optimize the performance of the ArcGIS services to ensure quick and reliable direction calculations?

Any insights, resources, or examples from similar projects would be highly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance!

0 Kudos
0 Replies