Enable editing in Map Viewer suddenly no longer enabled for a layer and now does not stay enabled

Jump to solution
12-25-2021 06:25 PM
JFujikawa
New Contributor II

I have a web map that I created in Map Viewer this year that our field crew has been using for data collection. This past week when I opened Field Maps to show a new field crew member how we collect data, the Add Item button was no longer showing. I eventually I logged into ArcGIS Online and opened the web map in Map Viewer (not classic). I went to one of the previously editable layers, selected Show Properties and Enable Editing was off. What would make it toggle off in the web map by itself?  I toggled on Enable Editing (it did turn on and I could even edit a point), saved the web map, closed it to looked at another layer in my table of contents. I went back to view the web map in Map Viewer and Enable Editing was toggled off. The setting is enabled as long as I am viewing the web map, but if I leave the web map Enable Edits doesn't stay enabled for the layer. I made a new web map and a new hosted feature layer with the same results. In Field Maps it says the map is editable and not read-only, but no Add Item button.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JFujikawa
New Contributor II

Thanks for inquiring.

• Feature Service /Hosted Feature Layer- editing enabled (yes, enabled that's fine)
  • Web app (in this case Field Maps) - editing widget (Add item) was not visible
  • Web map in Map Viewer (new, not classic) in ArcGIS Online- for each layer added you can view properties and a toggle button to Enable Edits for the layer in the web map. This was toggled to Enable Edits, but the issue was that it doesn't stay toggled to Enable Edits.

Thinking through the process with ABishop's replies led me to realize that this might be an issue with the permissions in our somewhat recently renewed site license. I checked with our site administrator at the end of the day yesterday. My account has been updated to the proper role and all is well.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

When you published the service, did you host it from your own internal server or ArcGIS Online?  Also, did you make sure it was a feature service with edit capability at the time of publishing?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JFujikawa
New Contributor II

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for replying. I published from Pro and it is hosted on ArcGIS Online. I might have enabled editing after, however, it has been working fine and we've used it daily for the past 6 months being able to edit.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Try republishing as a feature service with enabled editing capability.  Also, I would add it to a new web map and web application to make sure its not corrupted.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JFujikawa
New Contributor II

I did try republishing yesterday and I tried again just now from Pro to ArcGIS Online. Shared a web layer. Checked on enable editing, enable sync. Published to ArcGIS Online. In ArcGIS Online the hosted feature layer settings show that edits and sync are enabled. When I open the hosted feature layer in Map Viewer, the layer properties has Enable Editing toggled off. I can toggle Enable Editing on and add a point in ArcGIS Online from the web map, but if I save the web map, close, then open, Enable Editing is toggled off. Any insights?

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I am not sure where you are enabling editing at... in a web map?  Usually it is done inside a web app with the edit widget.  Can you provide screen shots?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JFujikawa
New Contributor II

My initial issue was that the Add Item button in the Field Maps app wasn't showing any longer. Then I went to look at the underlying web map and found this issue. I attached the hosted feature layer shot of editing enabled and in the web map where enable editing does not remain enabled.

agol enable editing does not stay enabled.jpg

hosted feature layer editing enabled.jpg

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Sounds like a bug in ArcGIS Online.  I would call ESRI support or search for a known bug here: https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=arcgis%20online%20web%20map&content-type=Bugs 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
JFujikawa
New Contributor II

Thanks, I'll check. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

skunkpup
New Contributor

@ABishop wrote:

Sounds like a bug in ArcGIS Online.  I would call ESRI support or search for a known bug here: https://support.esri.com/en/Search-Results#search?q=arcgis%20online%20web%20map&content-type=Bugsfive nights at freddy's

It's so helpful. Thanks

0 Kudos