Editing Local Copy of Feature: Can't Split Lines

Jump to solution
04-20-2018 02:21 PM
JohnWalls2
New Contributor II

I have a feature service layer consisting of a point feature and line feature. these are generated via Collector. I need to perform some cleanup of the line data, specifically splitting some lines while maintaining editor tracking and global ID. 

I have created a local copy for editing within ArcMap and need to split the lines. However, when trying to split, I get an error window: 

Split Tool Error

I copied and pasted the line layer and was able to split those lines, but not the existing feature service layer. I also tried to complete the process that way, but I lose the editor tracking information as well as the GlobalID. Is there a workaround or can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm working on 10.4.1 with Adv. License.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnWalls2
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly, 

Yes, I am creating a local copy. I am hoping to create a multi part feature, so I'm splitting the line in multiple parts. 

I did find a work around however. I was attempting to use the Split Line on the editor tool bar, which was giving me the error. However, using the Split Line feature from the Editor drop down menu allows me to select to split the line in to "X" number of equal segments. With the editor tracking, I need to maintain original creator and date info. Once I perform my cleanup, I merge the existing lines back into the original feature, which has preserved the Editor tracking info I need. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI John,

Are you looking to split one line into two lines with the same global ID? Are you hoping for these to be separate features or a multi-part feature.

When editing the feature layer in ArcMap, are you creating a local copy before editing?

Making a local copy of a feature service for editing—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JohnWalls2
New Contributor II

Hi Kelly, 

Yes, I am creating a local copy. I am hoping to create a multi part feature, so I'm splitting the line in multiple parts. 

I did find a work around however. I was attempting to use the Split Line on the editor tool bar, which was giving me the error. However, using the Split Line feature from the Editor drop down menu allows me to select to split the line in to "X" number of equal segments. With the editor tracking, I need to maintain original creator and date info. Once I perform my cleanup, I merge the existing lines back into the original feature, which has preserved the Editor tracking info I need. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI John,

Thanks for the update. In order to change the service type into multi-part features, the geometry of the service would need to be mutli-part. This isn't usually a default geometry type in ArcGIS Online and must be set on service creation. Thanks for sharing how you solved the problem.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
ScottCorwin
New Contributor III

I've also experienced this with splitting polygons using the same workflow, using the SPLIT tool.  Have not yet tested the multi-part feature work around.

0 Kudos