Download a Feature Layer and Export to Shapefile

06-04-2019 12:37 PM
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

I would like to download a feature layer (survey data point taken using Collector) for viewing in ArcGIS desktop.  From the details page, I Export to shapefile, then download the shapefile to my computer.  When I open the shapefile, the data is present in the attribute table but no points show up. I've tried projecting to a local projection and still nothing.  Please help. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Natalie Martinkus‌,

Could it be that your shapefile does contain geometry (points), but these points do not show up where you expect them to be?

Test:

Could you please double-click on one of the records in your attribute table to zoom in to it on the map? What happens now? Do you see a point on the map? Where is it located?

Questions:

Which desktop application are you using, ArcGIS ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro? And why are you downloading your data to a shapefile first, instead of accessing the Feature Layer directly from within your desktop application?

BR,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Hi Egge-Jan,

I did double-click on individual records and I still don't see any points on the map.  I am using ArcGIS desktop 10.7.  My problem really has two parts, and I submitted a second question for part 2.  The real reason I want to download the layer is that I created this layer for a client to use with Collector out in the field.  We discovered that I am the only one that can create a drop-down list from data entries in an attribute table field in AGOL.  I want my client to also have control of the layer and be able to "lock" the field as a drop-down list instead of always having to email me and request that I lock it or unlock it so she can add new data entries to the field. I havent been able to figure out how to copy a layer and share it with someone else so they own it and can manipulate it in AGOL.  Therefore, I figured if I download the shapefile and upload it using my client's login credentials, it would be her layer. 

0 Kudos
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

Update:  I opened some feature layers using ArcPro 2.3.3 and successfully exported them to a shapefile, which I then successfully uploaded as a new feature to AGOL using my client's credentials. So Im guessing that exporting a feature layer to a shapefile in AGOL is a bug.

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Natalie Martinkus,

Why shapefile? (There has been a time, way back in the days, that Esri was very proud of it's shapefile format, but these days are over now, I would say...)

Alternatives:

• As mentioned above: you should be able to access the Feature Layer directly from within your desktop application (using your client's credentials)
  • Or you can download the Feature Layer as a FGDB and open this one in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro

HTH,

Egge-Jan

0 Kudos
DryCreekEng
Occasional Contributor

My client wants to download shapefiles to import into Tableau software.  I have a few clients that use Tableau, and I don't want them to have to send me emails every time they want to download a shapefile for use in another program. 

0 Kudos