Displaying Single Year of Data in Time Aware Map

01-23-2019 10:20 AM
CatherineWargo
New Contributor II

Hi all

I made a time enabled map of data that is the yearly average and thanks to Bushtel Admin posting a workaround was able to edit the interval on the time slider widget so it has the same start time and end time allowing me to display a single year's data at a time. When I go to make the Time Aware app so I can insert my map into a StoryMap however the time slider widget defaults to showing an interval which means it's showing two years of data at a time.

Is there any way to make it so the time slider widget in the only displays a single year's data at a time?

13 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Nice use of custom css to workaround this issue!

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Since this is a bit of a necrobump, you may have moved on and found a solution so this won't matter. If, however, your purpose was to animate your results inside a Story Map and you still haven't found a solution, I'll offer another alternative that I've chosen to implement in my own Story Map...

I  wanted to display the cumulative progression of logging on federal lands in Southern Oregon from 1940-2015. The dataset I put together has about 15,000 polygons and any time aware web app chokes on it (much like what you were experiencing). Ultimately, I decided to create an animated GIF of my information and then place that animated GIF into my Story Map.

Using Arcmap, I would display my data based on each year of interest and then export the layout data frame as a JPEG, making sure to add a label *ON TOP* of the data frame which would indicate the year of the progression. After generating all my individual JPEGs, I used one of the online tools like EZGIF to generate the animated GIF. Granted, the animated GIF I created isn't really a small file and take a moment to load but at least the results look as desired and intended.

Here's the Story Map Link. The animated GIF I've been describing is the 6th slide in the Story Map.

Steve

0 Kudos
MollyBurhans
New Contributor II

This is an issue that we're having right now too. More than just the slider -- we can see that the data shown in the label is from both the start and end year, and to make things worse, it's different years for different features. Note, Alaska is showing the data for one year as a label while the US mainland polygon is labeled for another. I can toggle between these in the pop up but it's horribly inconvenient.

No slider moved, just the little arrow in the popup:

We plugged in The CSS from @Centre de compétence SITG helped a bit for a moment (thank you!).

But then -- this is where my mind gets blown about trying to fix this -- the entire field of "Orphanages" (displayed above) was erased and replaced with the next year value in the shapefile this is all pulling from. I have never seen anything like this.

But then other attributes, like leprosy colonies, were not hit by this error (yet...)

This is a bit buggy.

0 Kudos
Prediksi_CovidJatim
New Contributor

I know I'm late. Just happened to be here, having the same issue. I don't know how to make this work, but I can guess why yours act like that. That CSS is much like a visual hack rather than a solution. It only hides the handle. The functionality is still there and so it functions just like before when you have two slider handles. The difference is only that the handle is invisible because of the CSS. Depending on the visible handle, it may show a time span. With left handle, it will show time span when you slide to the left. With the right handle, it will show time span when you slide to the right. It will still show time span until you "snap" those two handles, which one of them is invisible.

0 Kudos