Displaying netCDF files on an ArcGIS Online web map?

02-23-2021 10:28 AM
PatrickCampbell
New Contributor II

Hi esri community!

I'd like to create an ArcGIS Online web map that displays netCDF files with a time dimension. The final product should allow me to use a time slider to animate climatic changes over time. 

I've created maps with the desired functionality in ArcMap (10.8.1), but I can't figure out how to package the netCDF files (or any suitable derivative) for export into ArcGIS Online. 

I'm also concerned about compatibility between the coordinate systems between the netCDF files (which I believe use WGS 1984) and ArcGIS Online, which defaults to Web Mercator. 

Basically, I'm trying to determine how amenable ArcGIS Online is to displaying netCDF files in general and what the typical workflow is for getting the files from either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro into an ArcGIS Online web map.

Thank you!

Patrick

6 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
PatrickCampbell
New Contributor II

Thanks for the helpful info Dan. Much appreciated.

If anyone could point me to a tutorial or standard workflow for this sort of preprocessing task (converting netCDF files to a format readable/viewable in ArcGIS Online while retaining the time animation capabilities), that would be very helpful. 

AlecBiles1
New Contributor

Hi Patrick,

I am having essentially the same issue that you had. Were you able to figure out/find  any sort of preprocessing task or anyway to convert the netCDF files so they could be viewed in ArcGIS Online while preserving the time dimension?

Any answer will help.

Cheers, Alec

PatrickCampbell
New Contributor II

Hi Alec, unfortunately not. I had to put the project on hold for the time being. If you figure it out, please let me know, and I'll be sure to do the same.

Patrick 

0 Kudos
AlecBiles12
New Contributor

Patrick, sounds like a plan. 

0 Kudos
ChelseaDelGrande
New Contributor

Hi Patrick and Alec - any chance you learned anything more on this? I'm having the same issue. I think what I've concluded is that if you don't have ArcGIS Enterprise or Server there is no way to host time enabled data as it needs to be uploaded as hosted imagery. 

I hope this isn't the case and maybe you've found a workaround?

Thanks -

0 Kudos